Motor swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommasMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
My mother passed a couple years ago and left me her 1980 malibu. It currently has a V6 in it and needs a rear main seal. It sat for years and was rarely driven (the car has 62k miles). I planned on swapping the engine eventually and when I told my mechanic this he said it wouldnt be worth it to fix the rear main seal. Sooo what kind of engine do I put in it and where do I find a reasonably priced engine. I am in Kentucky. I am limited on money and mechanical knowledge, thanks in advance!

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
you can never go wrong with a chevy small block from the first generation. either a 305 or a 350 are a good fit, and the3y aren't expensive. it depends though of the V6 you have. is it a chevy too or a buick v6? depending on the actual engine, you might have to change the transmission too, since the bellhouse may not fit a chevy

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Welcome from Louisville. What part of KY you in. Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, I've almost lost both my parents in the past couple years and it scared the hell out of me! The economical route would be a 350 crate motor, 650 carb, throw some headers on it to breathe. That's if you're dead set on replacing the v6. Do some research on here using the search button, you should find all the info you need.
I did my first swap at 19 years old and it wasn't that bad. Just take your time, it helps if you have some gearhead buddies. Ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for.
Oh yeah, we all like pics, so post up pics of that 'Bu when you get a chance.

Reactions: 3 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Summit Racing has crate small block Chevrolet engines at good prices. A complete core would be good for all the nick knacks, brackets, etc.
Sounds like you're best bet would be to store the car until your budget and knowledge/skills increase. Jmo

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MommasMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
Summit Racing has crate small block Chevrolet engines at good prices. A complete core would be good for all the nick knacks, brackets, etc.
Sounds like you're best bet would be to store the car until your budget and knowledge/skills increase. Jmo
Thanks its currently in my garage

MommasMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
Welcome from Louisville. What part of KY you in. Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, I've almost lost both my parents in the past couple years and it scared the hell out of me! The economical route would be a 350 crate motor, 650 carb, throw some headers on it to breathe. That's if you're dead set on replacing the v6. Do some research on here using the search button, you should find all the info you need.
I did my first swap at 19 years old and it wasn't that bad. Just take your time, it helps if you have some gearhead buddies. Ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for.
Oh yeah, we all like pics, so post up pics of that 'Bu when you get a chance.
Im in Lexington, I lost my father a couple months after, and yeah a 350 is what ive been leaning towards as well, thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user

MommasMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
you can never go wrong with a chevy small block from the first generation. either a 305 or a 350 are a good fit, and the3y aren't expensive. it depends though of the V6 you have. is it a chevy too or a buick v6? depending on the actual engine, you might have to change the transmission too, since the bellhouse may not fit a chevy
It has the chevy transmission, 95 percent sure

MommasMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
My mother passed a couple years ago and left me her 1980 malibu. It currently has a V6 in it and needs a rear main seal. It sat for years and was rarely driven (the car has 62k miles). I planned on swapping the engine eventually and when I told my mechanic this he said it wouldnt be worth it to fix the rear main seal. Sooo what kind of engine do I put in it and where do I find a reasonably priced engine. I am in Kentucky. I am limited on money and mechanical knowledge, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170907_145742.jpg
    20170907_145742.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 332
  • 20170907_145752.jpg
    20170907_145752.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 300
  • In Love
Reactions: 8 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
So sorry for your loss :( . Its nice to see you will be taking care of the Malibu! Personally i would take the small block Chevy route that some have mentioned here. VERY inexpensive with few modifications if you already have the Chevy 229 V6 in it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It has the chevy transmission, 95 percent sure
If it has a Buick V6 the distributor should be on the front, the Chevy V6 will be in the rear.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor