Motor swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is just my opinion. I concur with the simplicity of replacing your engine with a SBC. If you don't have a huge budget and don't want to go scrounging around looking for all sorts of parts, the Jeg's route with maybe some extra parts in a KIT so you'll have much of the stuff ready to go. USUALLY, unless you do swap meet parts, you can do better when stuff is pre-kitted. And you can spend as little as 2500 for a great starting base for nearly everything new. Do you want headers? Do you want plain stock to look like it came from the factory? This is always the questions you need answering before you start. Make a plan for the work, then work the plan. You'll also need to consider exhaust components...a stock 350 with 195 HP shouldn't kill your transmission and driveline.

If you want to buy just a longblock engine for 1500 on sale, do it, poke it in the corner until you can save up a little at a time to gradually get everything you need to swap stuff over. You're already ahead with the Chevy V6 brackets and crap I think.

It's a great project and if done right, you'll be more than satisfied with the results. And everything should be easily obtainable to get you where you want to be.

The only huge hurdle I see right now is convincing the wife it's worth the investment. Oh, and tell her the engine is on sale for $800!!!!!!!! :) J/K. If you do that and she ever found out....yeesh. Hard to work on a car with a frying pan dent in your head.

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Limited on money and mechanical knowledge is quite a handicap for what you want to do. Buying a crate engine is by far your best bet in your situation but are you prepared to have more money invested in the car than it's worth?? Not being sure of what trans is in the car you could also be taxing a 200 w/ the 350 engine. I would like to see you enjoy this car, have you driven it much after sitting so long?? The rear main - frt trans seal can leak just from sitting and stop once you start driving it if it isn't bad. You don't have anything to lose by throwing in a bottle of Bar's Leak rear main seal repair. Wish you had the skills (tools) to replace that $10.00 seal!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wish you had the skills (tools) to replace that $10.00 seal!
The only big tool he'll need is an engine hoist to swap in that 350 in while he's repairing the seal and putting that V6 on a stand covered up in the back of the garage! :)

But lilbowtie is correct. If you don't have authorization for the job order (wife's approval) you may just end up having to repair what you have. Sure, you'll need skill, but it's far cheaper than an engine swap unless you got all the V8 stuff for free.

MommasMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
This is just my opinion. I concur with the simplicity of replacing your engine with a SBC. If you don't have a huge budget and don't want to go scrounging around looking for all sorts of parts, the Jeg's route with maybe some extra parts in a KIT so you'll have much of the stuff ready to go. USUALLY, unless you do swap meet parts, you can do better when stuff is pre-kitted. And you can spend as little as 2500 for a great starting base for nearly everything new. Do you want headers? Do you want plain stock to look like it came from the factory? This is always the questions you need answering before you start. Make a plan for the work, then work the plan. You'll also need to consider exhaust components...a stock 350 with 195 HP shouldn't kill your transmission and driveline.

If you want to buy just a longblock engine for 1500 on sale, do it, poke it in the corner until you can save up a little at a time to gradually get everything you need to swap stuff over. You're already ahead with the Chevy V6 brackets and crap I think.

It's a great project and if done right, you'll be more than satisfied with the results. And everything should be easily obtainable to get you where you want to be.

The only huge hurdle I see right now is convincing the wife it's worth the investment. Oh, and tell her the engine is on sale for $800!!!!!!!! :) J/K. If you do that and she ever found out....yeesh. Hard to work on a car with a frying pan dent in your head.
Hahaha she owns guns. My kids would be the owner of a 1980 Malibu if I lie about it, shes actually on board with it just gotta save some.

Reactions: 3 users

MommasMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
Limited on money and mechanical knowledge is quite a handicap for what you want to do. Buying a crate engine is by far your best bet in your situation but are you prepared to have more money invested in the car than it's worth?? Not being sure of what trans is in the car you could also be taxing a 200 w/ the 350 engine. I would like to see you enjoy this car, have you driven it much after sitting so long?? The rear main - frt trans seal can leak just from sitting and stop once you start driving it if it isn't bad. You don't have anything to lose by throwing in a bottle of Bar's Leak rear main seal repair. Wish you had the skills (tools) to replace that $10.00 seal!
Yes I would really like to make it go fast in my Ricky Bobby voice so a transmission swap will also be in the future

tcracer37

n00b
Mar 21, 2018
Hello, and sorry for your loss.

I am getting ready to do an LS swap on my 1983 El Camino with 79,*** original miles. The original 305 and Turbo 350 run and work excellent (I can do a video so you can see/hear it run). The 305 will go with all the original accessories including a/c, p/s pump, alternator, etc. Again, all in great working order. $2,000. complete for everything. I'm in central Texas so the drive will be worth the trip. I'm not sure how to do the p.m. thing, my email is [email protected].

Thanks, Tom

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Tom - with all due respect that's a lot of money for a 36 year old 305 w/ 79,000 on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor