Motor swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcracer37

n00b
Mar 21, 2018
Come on guys, the reality of it is what will it really cost to replace a good running engine AND transmission with all accessories? A crate engine with no accessories, carb, etc., etc. will cost +/- $2,500.00. Apparently the "Master Mechanic" can do it for $200.00, I'm impressed.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Come on guys, the reality of it is what will it really cost to replace a good running engine AND transmission with all accessories? A crate engine with no accessories, carb, etc., etc. will cost +/- $2,500.00. Apparently the "Master Mechanic" can do it for $200.00, I'm impressed.
305s are plentiful and are not in high demand. Most anyone taking the time to swap an SBC into their vehicle is going to go with a 350, 383, 400, etc. The reality is that the market value on your engine/trans is no more than $4-500.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I know everyone likes new but why no look around at the recycle/scrap yards for a SBC 350, possible a vortec. Most yards give a warranty if it's not sold as a core. Could possible be the cheapest route.

Vortec just needs a carb manifold, distributor. I put a Vortec in my Elcamino 3 years ago, replacing the old SBC 350. You'll need your crank pulley, not sure on 6 cylinder water pump for an 8 cylinder. And change timing cover to one with timing tab.

Screenshot_20190323-180753~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
A TBI emgine out of a 90's truck might be a more cost effective way to go depending on what you want to do with the car. A later one with the vortec heads will perform well with few mods. HEI distributor, intake, carb, cam etc... Hot Rod Garage boys put one in an S10 for not stupid money on Motor Trend on Demand if you want to check out their little project, and it did pretty well.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Sorry for you're loss. If you are short on funds you could sale it to me and you would have some.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
87 national is being very gracious with you ! and his estimates of value for a 305 ! The fact of the matter is you will be darn lucky to sell a 305 at any price above scrap , like he said anyone taking the time to replace a engine is not going to waste there time with that pig ! Even GM doesn't bother with the 305 ! The reason ? For lack of a better term they SUCK ! Even with a butt load of aftermarket performance parts they dont reach the numbers of nearly stock 350, s . In short they are a waste of time .

79Lemans

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2015
Michigan
Sorry for your loss! I couldn't imagine what it's like... :(
I forgot Chevy had the 229 V6 Which i rarely see, even more so the Buick 231.

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Sorry to hear about your loss 😟. I am also in Kentucky Georgetown as matter of fact I have a engine hoist and some tools and equipment to help you you'd like help I'm redoing the engine in my 84ss Monte Carlo. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor