Motorcycle batteries. Thought AGM was better????

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
So my 2013 ZX14R my wife bought brand new for me, came with a regular acid style battery. Last winter it finally died so I paid a little more money for an AGM battery. Assumed it would be better. Tried to start it today and it's deader than $%#@. It has not been started in about 4 months. Is this normal or do I need to exchange it (warranty)? The Original Kawasaki acid battery lasted 2013 to 2019. This bike barely gets ridden with only 2.900 miles on it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't leave my red top sit around for 4 months, I put it on charge evey couple of months whether it needs it or not. I think most of the guys in here who leave the battery in the car use a battery tender. If your battery is under warranty I would try to exchange it

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

whtgtz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
a zx 14 is computer intensive with antitheft etc. any battery would be dead in that amount of time. you need a battery tender jr,

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Second/third/fourth/whatever on getting a battery tender for it if you don't ride it very often. Tenders are pretty easy. I definitely would look at a battery tender, jr. model. The JUNIOR model, not the regular sized. In my experience, the normal size BT's are junk. I've had very good luck with the Jr. model. Battery should be charged up normally and then placed on the tender. It will keep it topped off. I've had the Jr. on my AGM and normal lead-acid batteries without issues.

You could get a CTEK brand as well. It has specific AGM charging mode. A bit pricier, but more versatile than the Jr. CTEK had been providing GM, and I think BMW, with chargers for each company's respective accessory catalog. Don't know if they still are or not. They just put a different sticker on them and doubling the price tag.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
CTEK had been providing GM, and I think BMW, with chargers for each company's respective accessory catalog. Don't know if they still are or not. They just put a different sticker on them and doubling the price tag.
And, don't forget Ferrari. :giggle:

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I only know that because I was perusing some cars at the Cruisin' OC auction one year, and saw one on the floor of a red Italian car- the one with the horse.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I bought a Honda VTX 1300R in '09.
I put around 10-12k on it every year (sans a couple/few years - personal and medical issues) and have had pretty ShiTay luck with batteries.
Expensive ones, Cheap ones, Middle of the road ones, Acid, AGM, blah blah... Tender or not... Ive had them last from 6 months to 2 years and that's it.

So, I buy the cheapies. Wait until they're on sale, $19-$29 or so.. don't really give two shites about the brand, and grab me a couple. They sit until I need em. Expect one season, if it lasts thru winter, I don't trust it second season, and carry a spare with me in the saddlebags. It goes, I pull over, yank the seat, replace it, and away I go.

-Gonz

Me & Althea
arkansas.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Biggest killer of batteries is not using them. X10 (or however many people have already mentioned) on the battery tender. CTEK is great for powersports because they make one that is 0.8A charge. Nice and slow. Just plug it in and walk away.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Biggest killer of batteries is not using them. X10 (or however many people have already mentioned) on the battery tender. CTEK is great for powersports because they make one that is 0.8A charge. Nice and slow. Just plug it in and walk away.

I have a Ctek 7002 which goes into a trickle charge once the battery is charged...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor