MSD IGNITION ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
So Im having some problem's turning on my car in the mornings or whenever I turn it on period!! LOL!...

Well in the morning I have to crank it like 5 times, give it gas like 10 times and then it will turn on for a quick second then turn off, so then I do the same process over crank 5 times give it gas like 5 more times, it turn on and stay on then im good......during the hole process of turning it on I might get a poping sound from the carb, but its all good..as long as it turn on and im running...lol...But it does take me a good 2-3 mins to get it started up and running... my starter is brand new and I dont think thats the problem, i think its my ignition..

HELP!!!!

So do you guys think with and MSD IGNITION set-up I wont have this problem?

All I want is for it to turn on like a champ, fast and smooth!!!

HERES A LINK OF A MSD IGNITION SET...IS THIS ALL I NEED?>

http://www.shopatron.com/products/produ ... .0.0.0.0.0

Attachments

• msd.jpg
    msd.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 999

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if your giving it that much gas you may be flooding it and that could be the reason it starts and then shuts down. What happens if you just pump the gas once or twice? If you have flooded it then hold your gas pedal down till it starts and keep it down after it starts to clear out the gas and then as it smooths out let off the gas. Is your choke properly set up?

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Flooding it, ummmm maybe, but dont think thats the problem, I mean i pump twice first and if that dosent work then i pump alittle more...lol...

As for the choke...on my carb it dosent have a electric choke set-up, with that little black plastic circle on the side of the carb, ever since i bought the elko theres was no choke set-up or no wire running to the carb..I think its manuel setup?

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
As for the choke...on my carb it dosent have a electric choke set-up, with that little black plastic circle on the side of the carb, ever since i bought the elko theres was no choke set-up or no wire running to the carb..I think its manuel setup?
It would I think be a yellow wire if you have it.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
bigjoenvegas said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
It would I think be a yellow wire if you have it.

Nope no yellow wire no where....when got the car it didnt have no wires connecting to the carb...nor the carb has an electric choke on it...i think its manuel choke..

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
do you have 2 threads open about the same subject?

ya didnt know where to put them...sorry...lol

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds like no choke/cold weather. What carb? A manual choke would have a cable that leads to the dash with a knob to pull/push actuating/deactivating the choke. If you have a Rochester Q-jet it is a simple matter to install the electric choke on the side then set it and forget it., If you have another brand then you need to get that type choke and get it installed and adjusted. An MSD is good for many reasons but will not take the place of a well adjusted automatic choke.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Bonnewagon said:
Sounds like no choke/cold weather. What carb? A manual choke would have a cable that leads to the dash with a knob to pull/push actuating/deactivating the choke. If you have a Rochester Q-jet it is a simple matter to install the electric choke on the side then set it and forget it., If you have another brand then you need to get that type choke and get it installed and adjusted. An MSD is good for many reasons but will not take the place of a well adjusted automatic choke.

Yes its a Rochester 4bbl carb...can u show me a pic of the choke? and cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor