Muffler compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Putting new exhaust system on my 78 Cutlass. Since it only has a 260, I'm not planning on doing anything crazy.

Current plan is to do a system like what came on the 79 Hurst Olds i.e. 2.25" single cat back exhaust into a traversly mounted muffler with dual ( one on each side ) 2" tailpipes.

The 79 Hurst Olds muffler ( Walker 22143 ) has been discontinued. Walker 22253 ( used on 80's Camaros ) appears to be the same as the discontinued 22143. Anybody know the difference?

P.S. Would consider upping exhaust to single 2.5" with 2.25" tailpipes ( Walker 22354 muffler ) but don't know about fitment nor it being worth it on a 260.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I didn't realize the 79-80 Hurst/Olds and 442 exhaust sucked so bad. Hard to say if you will gain anything at all from a non performance muffler with an extra tail pipe.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Well the 79 HO was rated 5 hp more than standard 350 which was from the exhaust, so there is something to be had.

Also, the 260 had only 2" exhaust instead of 2.25" of the HO.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I think I may have found the difference between the HO muffler and the Camaro muffler. The inlet and outlet that are on the same side of the muffler are spread further apart on the Camaro muffler.

So the question becomes will this cause fitment issues in a Gbody or not?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I had something similar on my regal years ago, just can't remember just what model I got the #'s from.... IIRC, it was a stock piece made by walker, and may have added just a pinch performance to the 305 someone had set into it, but made it sound nicer...can;t remember what I used for the side exits though, may have been stock #'s from the 442's at the time....

I did work at a parts store at the time, and had access to catalogs with the vehicle layouts and sizes, which made it much easier back then...

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have a transverse in the Pig, and would like to do the same thing you are. I just have a standard center in/offset out muffler now. You can make tails from a couple of 45s.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Hooker cat back did make a big seat of the pants difference over the stock single exhaust with no cat, was necked down with 2" pipe and I had a glass pack on it. A better cat, 1/4 or 1/2" larger mid pipe and an extra tail pipe should add at least 5hp. I didn't realize they also had a smaller mid pipe on the 260. And people wonder why it is so gutless in stock form.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I don't want to sound like a scrooge but unless you have plans on a bigger engine later don't waste your money a stock exhaust is more than ample. The 260 was a great little engine but a poor candidate for HP upgrades.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For my 86' Regal I originally looked at the factory GN exhaust but that uses the muffler behind the rear end with the shorter tailpipes coming out of the single muffler, I personally don't like the muffler there so since I have a 307 right now I decided to go with a stock replacement 442 full cat back set up from Walker.
The 442 exhaust is also 2-1/4" all of the way compared to a Monte SS that uses 2". tailpipes
I saved a lot of money by getting the individual components from different vendors that had the best price and it fit without issues.
IMG_1935.JPG

I was still doing the mock ups in this picture so it has not been tightened yet.
IMG_1932.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor