Musings/Ramblings/Opinions on the EV push

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's no wrong or right answers here, and feel free to opine. But as I age into my end-of-life crisis (I managed to skip my mid-life crisis), I've decided a few things about what I'm going to concern myself with when it comes to "our hobby."

I recall back in the summer of 2011, we had our 2010 5th gen Camaro less than 2 years, when we took the car back "home" to Oshawa for the gargantuan all-years Camaro Homecoming they had there. Of course, GM was heavily involved with it, and they brought out the 2012 ZL1 there for all to see, plus an area to crawl all over the "new" 2012 Camaro lineup. In the Camaro-world, this was kinda a big deal. During the ordeal, I talked cars with a GM exec that I knew, and he told me that in the future, V8s were going to be "luxury" items and performance was going to cost more and more as it went along. That's when he asked me out of the blue what I thought about a mid-engine Corvette. WTF? If done right, I guess it'd be ok, but don't launch one tomorrow as not many would be ready for that. People don't usually take well to sudden changes.

As we walked around the North Camaro Sea there, I was amazed at the power capabilities of some, the originality of some, and how each owner made their car their own, whether it be performance, aesthetics, or a combo of both. This is what car ownership should be. Make it YOURS. Do what makes you happy. And just about every case, you could imagine all the $$ hours spent fixing, modifying, restoring, etc., their cars to make it theirs, regardless of budget. Some were finished, some needed more work, and most, as always, are never really "finished."

But all that leads me to nearly eleven years later, 2022. Our A/G-bodies (78-88) were generally all the turds in the punchbowl. The only one that wasn't IMO was the GNX. Even the GN's during that time were impressive when compared to other G-bodys, but not to the old muscle. Designed by GM to sell trillions, and try to meet everyone's daily driver needs. Getting from point A to B with a decent smooth ride and as much room as possible. I look at them as "right-sized" personal coupes, with RWD and full frame, if you want to call it a frame, but that's just me. From grandma to the mustached wannabe macho guy with the mullet and the oversized sunshades that were so prevalent in the late 70s and for the next decade, G-bodies fit the bill. With lackluster performance coming out of the gas crunches of the 70s, and questionable quality from car to car, these were the cars for whatever reason that has captured our imaginations of what owning one can do for our car addictions.

As a 60s-early 70s Olds aficionado, initially the A/G-bodies didn't wow me much when they first arrived in 81. The styling was more like a brick in comparison, just a sleeker brick than in 78-80. But after the 83 H/O was released, that got my attention. Still wasn't too sure. Had to grow into the G-bodies. After all, a 307 was no 455. Stuff I was used to. Looking back is easy to do, but when you're in the moment, it's simply living life. New car buying was still a big decision in life and the "weak" G-bodies weren't all that impressive. I almost bought a new 84 H/O vinyl interior leftover lot lizard (dealership had 2 of them late in 84) after my 85 442 order languished in Lansing, but backed out right before signing. I don't know if calling Oldsmobile and whining about it made a difference (probably not), but it wasn't a week after I talked to someone in fleet order scheduling I got word it was on the slate for production. FINALLY. At least I tell myself it did have something to do with it.

So now we play with our big boy G-toys, like everyone else. Modifying moreso than restoring. Restifying is fun as well. The newest G-body is 34 model years old. That's crazy. But parts aren't there anymore like they used to be. Like when people were looking for inside the rail Olds headers. Stuff is drying up. The aftermarket, and even the big box store auto parts places are starting to drop regular repair parts that used to be so plentiful. So if you don't gather up your parts now, you'll be scouring craigslist, et al, searching for used. It seems most junkyards are already void of good G-body selections. And when parts get too hard to find and prices soar, people just give up and move on. The G-body desire will fade, and hardly anyone will carry on the torch. It's not just with G-bodies, it's seemingly every older car. If you're not spending big bucks on performance parts to modify, you're going to be left out in the cold. Ever notice there is starting to become more and more "resto" aftermarket parts for G-bodies. Still not enough, but that seems to be the direction it's heading. When cars get to a certain age, they start focusing on restoring them instead of modifying them. It happened to 55-57 Chevies back in my day. Hot rodding them started getting stale, and more and more resto parts were coming into play for the 55-57 bodies. Better and newer bodies were available for hot rodding. Nobody takes a pristine example of a 55 Chevy and hacks it up any more. Nobody I know does, anyway. The further you get from the car era, the more charm it holds. One day you'll be an old 85 year-old guy spying an 84 Pontiac GP at a car show somewhere. "It was my great grandma's car"...it'll make you smile and long for those simpler times. Whereas today you're getting ticked off because you busted your knuckles getting that stubborn ball joint out of the front LCA on your G-body. :)

In the near-term future, the push will be more and more EV. Unfortunately, it's policy/politically driven, and not organically grown demand. This will be its biggest problem. People are generally resistant to change, and when someone rolls up and puts an electric motor in a car, I just shrug and think about it having more in common with my refrigerator than a hot rod. Big deal. Yawn. Color me unimpressed. Appliances have electric motors. Nobody I know of will be willing to tear down an electric motor in a car and do mods to it to add power to it. It's not that they're "bad". They're just different for a different kind of driver, that's all. More like an upgraded electric golf cart. You'll never see anyone "proud" to show off their EV motors at a car show. No hoods will be up because what would be the point? Nobody like me will give two sh*ts. And repairs? Unless you're an electronic tech or minimally an electrical tech, you likely won't be the one fixing your EV. It'll be component replacement. You know, like your refrigerator.

The EV isn't without some pushback. Cadillac dealers around here are going to be turning in their license to GM pretty soon and you'll need to go far and wide to get a new Caddy when they go "all electric" soon. The deal is, if I understand it correctly, GM is forcing dealers hands by saying they must do all the dealership upgrading for servicing and charging Caddy EVs ON THE DEALER'S DIME before they get the first order of Caddy EV. GM will reimburse them if they comply, but that will be after the fact. In case anyone has been paying attention at GM lately, they'd notice they can't sell hardly ANY new cars at the moment because GM isn't building them!!! So how can dealerships afford to outlay that kind of cash to upgrade when they don't even have anything to sell to keep the money pump running? WTF? So, at least around this surrounding area far and wide, Caddy dealers are throwing in the towel. There's not going to be many people driving 100-150 miles to buy a Caddy EV. Another idiotic GM gamble.

Not even going to touch the electric grid. That infrastructure nightmare will come home to roost. I'm sure it will be a problem that will get solved eventually, but not before everyone and their brother has committed to building nothing but EVs, requiring LOTS more charging capabilities, and burning down more homes and cars, and other structures. I'm not anti-EV. But there's more important issues to solve much more pressing than trying to overload the electrical grid right now. Cart before the horse. Fly the plane while building it...dumb. It's going to cost more for electricity one way or another, and more for gas. Pick your poison.

If it doesn't have a camshaft, I'm not impressed. Have at it. For those that love EVs, go ahead. Enjoy your EV. They're always going to be looked at as appliances by me. Maybe they'll have a built in K-cup machine in the dash. That might be the only thing that may change my mind about owning one. Driving an appliance is probably different than having one keep your food cold or wash your clothes. And as more and more EV's replace the ICE cars, then it will make our cars more historic. The conspiracy theorists tend to flock to non-trackable cars, and G-bodies fit the bill nicely.

Summing up- it's going to cost us more to keep and maintain/build our G-bodies going forward. All due to a bunch of idiots forcing stuff down our throats whether you want it or not. I'm just glad I'm a part of it while it was still a "thing." Agree or disagree. It's just thoughts rolling around in my head about where we may end up as a G-body Nation.

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm a big fan of options and choice. Forcing the market eliminates both.

Enjoy them while you can.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
My friend works at NYSEG Electric company. She already has warned that customers' bills have already started to double, this will be gradual and to everyone eventually, JUST TO START! Why you may ask, for one, the power grid in the United States is weak, it can't even handle a few extra air conditioners running in a simple summer heat wave, what do you think will happen when everyone is charging their vehicles ON TOP of this!! The grid in laymen terms is SH*t! The power companies know it, we know it, SO, where do you think, the funds are going to come from to ramp up for this new demand, sure the h*ll isn't coming from Santa Clauss. I can't wait to jump down an EV crazed fan who starts bitching about their electric bill. If these electric bills are starting to double for customers without EV, what do you think the amount will be for those who are charging their EV!?? Save the planet while living in a carboard box, because you can't afford to live.

For one thing, people are truly stupid, PERIOD. They seek one solution and have tunnel vision. The answer to anything is truly to be diversified in our solutions to conquer "global warming". I feel, yes, everyone can do their part, but when you have natural occurring forest fires burning MILLIONS of acers, volcanoes erupting annually spewing 10X's the pollution ALL internal combustion engines produce globally in one year, you have to ask yourself, WHY!? Why are we picking on ICE vehicles, I am glad you asked :LOL:, because its where the money is, its where you have people in power trying to be heroes in front of the world, trying to be something in their pathetic lives while lining their pockets HEAVILY, pushing EV vehicles down everyone's throat BEFORE the proper safety and technologies are implemented CORRECTLY, and at what cost, you will certainly see in the price of everything, including LIVES.

Do you know when an EV vehicle comes into a shop, they rope off a 25' SQUARE area to work on them because they are such a hazard and have explosive tendencies, yeah, lets rush out and buy one of these EV and stuff your grandkids in them. Do you see why I use such strong language here concerning the idiots pushing this. I HAVE NO PROBLEM with EV if the technologies and safety issues were addressed first PRIOR to selling even ONE OF THEM, but no, Image and getting rich off GUILTING and shaming people into the blame game of global warming, is apparently more important than human lives, PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said and predicted, just wait until you see crashes and the explosions killing innocent people from these EV piles of crap, or homes burnt down from charging these less than inferior batteries in these EV, don't come crying to me!

Will

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I reeeally wish I was permitted to disclose details from my job. In a nutshell, people are lazy and we're all doomed.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There are certain drive cycles where BEV really make sense.

Delivery trucks, transit buses, taxis, because you get regeneration on breaking, they are parked in the same spot every night.

There are some cases where drive cycles make less sense but the advantage of the electric motor helps.

Construction equipment in urban environments where noise is not allowed, in buildings like warehouses, lumber yards ECT where you don't want exhaust fumes

There are situations where it absolutely doesn't make sense, agricultural equipment that needs to operate for hours on end in remote locations, military, over the highway trucks, marine.

If you want to spend the money on a BEV absolutely, they can be great fits.

But a lot of the time they don't pencil out. The range is often less than published and the range degrades as the batteries age
The batteries need to be stored at a controlled temp, they burn electricity at very cool or warm environments to stay cool or warm

A good example is the new Oshkosh postal van is supposed to replace the Grumman LLV, which has hasn't been built since like 1994. They need to build 50-130k some vans. It got published that only 10% are BEV. EPA gets mad. Demands the contract gets stopped and builds more BEV. New gas version is powered by Ford 4 cylinder stuff, think transit van. Old postal truck is iron duke, th125, s10 chassis. New version gets 0.4mpg better than the old Grumman

Why?

Well it's a heavy, big, and has a crap drive cycle. It should be perfect for BEV but I expect that the additional costs (charging network, climate controlled storage, lack of service stations, inability to make delivery on schedule due to inability to obtain rare earth metals for batteries has something to do with it.

Each post office would need to pull 220v power into their parking lots, 1 charging station for each van is needed, buildings may need to be built to store them for very warm or cold climates. There's potentially long term savings but up front capital is killer.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Local BIG electric company is still sorting out last February's drama over electric demand pricing. The plan they are pushing is either a one-time charge (average customer cost $450) or average customer charge of $2.xx/month for 28 years.

Sure, lets move even more demand to the system........

Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
85% of the world's population lives in the 2nd and 3rd worlds. Countries like the Philippines have enough electrical generation to power 3 electric fans and a fridge per household. ICE isn't going away.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
Though I'm definitely a set in my ways 19 year old (which I'm told is what happens when raised by older parents), I don't think the EV push is worth it. In my opinion option is what keeps a market alive, I mean hell even when it comes to car enthusiasts options matter. I think in theory EVs are good but to create all the electricity to power all these cars on an already weak power grid isn't wise and also creates its own problems. Especially when the one of the most important components of an EV is what creates the most pollution when it's mined, lithium. I also think that when it comes to something that has been tried before in a market, if you haven't taken the time to study and understand why it died out of favor then its just a failed venture. I mean there has to be a reason as to why early on EVs fell out of favor besides the lack of technology.

Reactions: 1 user

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Here in Quebec we aare lucky to have cheap and relatively clean hydro electricity but like everywhere else, The existing power grid needs major improvements to sustain massive EV growth. Just last week when temperatures were holding at around -33/35c for several days, HydroQuebec was asking people to lower their power usage because the demand for heat was so high. I can't imagine the power needs as EV sales increase. Let's not forget the gvmt taxation revunue. Right now about 70% of our gas price is various taxes. Does anybody really think they will give up that revenue as gas consumption decreases. I can hardly wait to see the electric bills incease and watch peoples heads explode when the whole "I save money not buying gas" reasoning dissapears.

My other concern is recycling of the old batteries. As of now as far as i know it can't be done without huge power consumption and hugely toxic chemicals, all of which leaves all kinds of secondary waste to deal with. Am I wrong. You can find all kinds of charts comparing the carbon footprint and pollution between ICE and Electric cars from initial construction through the lifespan of the car but NONE include dismantling/recycling/disposal at the end.

I have no problem with the concept of an electric/enviromentaly cleaner car. But I tell anyone who asks my opinion (I'm a certified mecanic so I get that a lot) to do the math, not just blindly rush out. In many cases it aint cheaper or cleaner.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor