My 1,400rwhp TT LT1 Street Car Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
I don't really have any plans to get it appraised, but I might just for the video. I used a TRZ rack, they will have everything you need for your car and are a great group of guys to work with. It's a manual rack though, so keep that in mind.
Thanks. Checked TRZ web site, may be more than I can handle but $650.00 for the kit not bad. Now I know.

Reactions: 1 user

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
We're back; another month down, another video. This time we picked up where we left off last month, finishing the floor bars and the center X. It went much smoother this time after having done the passenger side.

IMG_20200206_130543.jpg

Once the floor was done, I started on the rear down bars. These are also from S&W and are designed to allow you to keep the back seat, since this is a back half car that's kind of pointless, because I have no where to put a back seat.. What these bars aren't designed for, is to land at the upper suspension mount, and that was very important to me as that is a high stress area. I had to shorten them up quite a bit, and notch the rear package tray to get them in. I'll reinforce that area later.

IMG_20200205_182617.jpg

IMG_20200209_103954.jpg

Once those bars were tacked in place, we moved on to the trunk triangulation bars. These bars hold up the rear of the back half so that in the future we can hang a fuel cell and batteries back here safely.

IMG_20200207_131945.jpg

IMG_20200207_184758-01.jpeg

And as always, if you'd rather watch the video, here it is for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Curious.... How many chassis cars have you been involved with the builds on? Editing makes things faster but you definitely have done this multiple times. I continue to look forward to the progress videos & thread updates.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
Curious.... How many chassis cars have you been involved with the builds on? Editing makes things faster but you definitely have done this multiple times. I continue to look forward to the progress videos & thread updates.

I'm no stranger to working on cars, but this is my first time doing anything of this magnitude or any type of fabrication.

I'd have been done a year ago if I didn't decide to film this whole thing, haha.

Reactions: 4 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm no stranger to working on cars, but this is my first time doing anything of this magnitude or any type of fabrication.

I'd have been done a year ago if I didn't decide to film this whole thing, haha.
Wow.... If this is your first attempt @ building a complete chassis for certification that's even more impressive. I understand the filming/documenting slowing the process. I tried just taking pics as I was doing mods to my dually & it did add a bunch of time to the process.

Reactions: 1 user

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
Wow.... If this is your first attempt @ building a complete chassis for certification that's even more impressive. I understand the filming/documenting slowing the process. I tried just taking pics as I was doing mods to my dually & it did add a bunch of time to the process.

Yep, first time, but I did a TON of research. Literally years of looking at cars looking at what worked, what I liked, and what didn't.

Reactions: 5 users

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
It feels like it's been forever since I've been able to post an update, these videos that take double my normal lead time really suck the motivation out of you, but I'm back up and running, for now. I've been having a ton of problems with my Miller welder that we are trying to get sorted out, and I'm hoping the worst is behind us.

Anyhow, on with the show, continuing on the 25.3 chassis. I think I mentioned previously that this cage is a S&W Race Cars kit; well the halo fit horribly, it wasn't even bent to the right measurements per S&W, so I took my own measurements and had my buddy over at Belfab Automotive bend one up. I got it fit up in the car, and started on the A pillar bars. A little tip I learned, use a toilet paper roll to make a template to notch your tubes, it's so much easier if you mess up. Then just transfer the template and notch the tube.

IMG_20200223_153156.jpg

IMG_20200329_130439.jpg

IMG_20200329_130457.jpg

IMG_20200329_154153.jpg

IMG_20200331_173103.jpg

Can't forget the dash bar either, this one is one of the easier tubes to make, but the bend in the A pillar bars makes it a b*tch to install.

IMG_20200409_182909-1.jpg

For the strut bars, I wanted to keep the body removable, and with them going through the firewall that was a big issue. I plan to powdercoat the entire chassis and I don't want to leave the body on when I do it. SFI allows for a bar to be split, but you have to use either a 2 bolt adapter with a sleeve, or a 3 bolt (min) adapter with 1/8" plate. I used both, and this 15" section between the tube and the A pillar bar is now removable, so the body can come off.

IMG_20200410_114717.jpg

IMG_20200410_175504.jpg

And as always, if you want to waste 12 minutes and have a soundtrack (that someone b*tches about without fail) here is the video.

Reactions: 6 users

g9s8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2018
That is a work of art!! I wish California didn't have such strict smog laws.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor