My 1986 Ford F250

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
I'm new here. I have an 86 F250 in the garage that the seller claimed was sitting on a modified 81 Malibu chassis. It's definitely looking that way, but everywhere I look I see things that need a little attention. It's also pretty tough to tell where the truck morfed from Chevy to Ford for some items like the steering column and cooling system.

At the present time, I'm addressing safety related matters. The truck has a fuel cell in the bed that didn't have a roll over vent valve or vent. Fuel was old as hell.

I'm also trying to improve and repair a leaky front airride setup. Tank was leaking due to trashed threads.
2017092895171436.jpg

When I got the truck, it had the wrong lugnuts on it and I have to work on aligning the bed a bit this winter. Overall, it's extremely low on rust. Came out of northern California.

Right now, looking for parts identification help. Also looking at suspension changes to a static drop. It came with s10 Belltech front drop springs in a box.

Last edited:

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
Looking for info on these spindles and verification on a-arms being G-body. Previous owner told me it was 81 Malibu bits up front and out back.

Shock mounts are sketchy. Looking for options for front suspension and chassis bracing.
20171025_192055.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The shock mounts were done because of the bags. I'd cross reference the Belltech part number to see which application they are for. I don't know if standard S-10 stuff is a direct swap. If you can indeed use them, it really depends on how much travel and what kind of ride you want. Moog 5658, 5660, and 5662 springs will fit- $45 on rockauto. Being a truck, I would think you'd want the 5662s (high spring rate).
What engine is in it?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks like Gbody stuff to me. Those add-on shock mounts are scary. Fleming442 has solid info above. Many S10 front suspension parts interchange so statc drop parts shouldn't be too tough ti come by. Luckily Gbodys have/had a lot of support for circle track racing which gives options for aftermarket control arms, ball joints, spindle and brake upgrades. I think pontiacgp is the circle track guru around here.

Cool looking truck. Hope you get all the bugs worked out. Keep us posted.

Reactions: 1 user

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
Yes. It also looks like the blew out the top shock mount with a torch.

Yeah...wondering if I can go back to stock shocks or if this is gonna be a bigger project.

He also torched below the frame to clearance for the bags. The front will be the biggest challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor