MONTE CARLO My 1986 Monte Carlo SS Engine Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2021
I bought my 1986 MC SS original from the dealer when I finished university as a gift to myself.
White, T-top, grey interior bucket seats no AC and now has about 120,000 km on the odometer.
I'm in eastern Canada and it was winter driven in 1986/7, but has not seen snow or salt since then.
The car is pretty much original (including the paint) and it still looks great considering its age.
It has not been driven much in the last 10 years but still starts with the first turn of the key - nothing fancy about the 305 L69 but it's reliable!

However the engine compartment is also original and looks like crap!
I replaced a cracked exhaust header about 20 years ago with a non-emissions compliant header and the air pump has not worked since then (capped the air injection hoses for that header and cut the belt to the pump).

I am in the process of pulling the engine with the intention of adding a few bolt-on upgrades (intake, headers, water pump, carb) and dressing the engine bay. Nothing over the top as I want to add just a few horsepower but keep it as a drive-able street machine.
I also want to ditch all the air gear that clutters up the engine bay and create a cleaner look.

Anybody out there that can offer some advice or suggestions on things for me to watch out for as I rebuild (especially around removing the air system), or suggestions for aftermarket bolt-ons would be greatly appreciated. I consider myself to be a decent shade tree mechanic but also recognize my limits.

Here is a pic of my starting point from a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to chatting with folks with experience!

Thanks.
01B67E7E-19AA-4DD4-A1AA-664D699963CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Hello Greg and Welcome Aboard from Kentville Nova Scotia.
If you need any machine work done to your 305,you may want to call Allyn @ A&J Armstrong,here;
They can also supply any parts,stock or performance.I have dealt with them many times over the years that I've owned my '86 SS,and I can personally recommend them.
Theres lots that can be done to spruce these cars up.I like to think that I have mine looking pretty good,LOL
IMG_0218.JPG

Guy

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 5, 2021
Hello Greg and Welcome Aboard from Kentville Nova Scotia.
If you need any machine work done to your 305,you may want to call Allyn @ A&J Armstrong,here;
They can also supply any parts,stock or performance.I have dealt with them many times over the years that I've owned my '86 SS,and I can personally recommend them.
Theres lots that can be done to spruce these cars up.I like to think that I have mine looking pretty good,LOL
View attachment 169835

Guy
Thanks Guy! Love what you have done to your car - great pic! Looks awesome.That’s the vision I have for mine.
B.t.w. fellow east coaster, I am in St. John’s, NL

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I bought my 1986 MC SS original from the dealer when I finished university as a gift to myself.
White, T-top, grey interior bucket seats no AC and now has about 120,000 km on the odometer.
I'm in eastern Canada and it was winter driven in 1986/7, but has not seen snow or salt since then.
The car is pretty much original (including the paint) and it still looks great considering its age.
It has not been driven much in the last 10 years but still starts with the first turn of the key - nothing fancy about the 305 L69 but it's reliable!

However the engine compartment is also original and looks like crap!
I replaced a cracked exhaust header about 20 years ago with a non-emissions compliant header and the air pump has not worked since then (capped the air injection hoses for that header and cut the belt to the pump).

I am in the process of pulling the engine with the intention of adding a few bolt-on upgrades (intake, headers, water pump, carb) and dressing the engine bay. Nothing over the top as I want to add just a few horsepower but keep it as a drive-able street machine.
I also want to ditch all the air gear that clutters up the engine bay and create a cleaner look.

Anybody out there that can offer some advice or suggestions on things for me to watch out for as I rebuild (especially around removing the air system), or suggestions for aftermarket bolt-ons would be greatly appreciated. I consider myself to be a decent shade tree mechanic but also recognize my limits.

Here is a pic of my starting point from a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to chatting with folks with experience!

Thanks.
View attachment 169848
I don't have one myself, but I'm guessing it is a 305 there? If you are rebuilding it, let me know how it all turns out, as my friend wants to rebuild mine as well! Cheers.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Thanks Guy! Love what you have done to your car - great pic! Looks awesome.That’s the vision I have for mine.
B.t.w. fellow east coaster, I am in St. John’s, NL

Good Morning Greg,I hope that all is well in St. John's today.We are getting a light dusting of snow this morning.
I have done lots of upgrades to my Monte over the 20 years that I've owned it.
If I can be of any help just send me a PM.
And just so you know,Armstrong's build and ship engines all over the world.
They have the best engine engine building equipment in the Atlantic provinces.
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor