My 3" x pipe for my ls3 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LsxBuickRegal1982

Greasemonkey
Nov 9, 2018
I have a stainless steel pypes performance 3" x pipe with cut outs and some street pro mufflers, I plan to cut the reducers and trim to fit some full length. 1 3/4 speed engineering LS swap headers. Anybody have any experience with speed engineering headers?

Attachments

• IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 295

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I have experience with a pypes 3" x-pipe collecting dust if that helps.:p
Seriously though I have read a bit on the then new to market speed engineering header threads a few years back on LS1 tech.com. Most were regarded as pretty decent, but like with most off shore products, not all are 100% the fully amount of quality as the rest. If I could buy any g-body ls headers, pretty sure I'd get the Holley stainless long tubes, other wise I'd chance on the speed engineering.

Last edited:

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have the speed eng. stainless 4th gen F body headers in my 6.0 t56 setup. I built mine before they started making the G body swap headers. They are nice quality, china made but they found people who can tig weld. I had to hammer the #2 or #4 primary tube and they sit close to the UCA, I also had to cut and reweld the output angle on the drivers header so it points straight back but I bet both are solved on the G body specific set.

I also have the pypes 3" header back. My only complaint is that they only make it in rear exit and not side exit. Otherwise it seems good for the price. It gets close to the driveshaft and I used mostly muffler clamps not welding it, but if I had it off again id weld it.
Some install pictures here
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/86-gp-2-2-blown-6-0.57866/page-13

Reactions: 1 user

LsxBuickRegal1982

Greasemonkey
Nov 9, 2018
Thanks for the info nice 2+2 But I will be running 3" stainless turndowns at the mufflers I wish they offered the side exit tail pipes for buicks

Attachments

• IMG_7762.jpg
    IMG_7762.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 190

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will be running 3" stainless turndowns at the mufflers, I wish they offered the side exit tail pipes for buicks
You could just cut down and modify a set of rear exit tail pipes or fabricate your own set out of mandrel bends, I personally don't see a reason to run turndowns on a street car unless there are physical clearance restrictions keeping it from going over the axle. IMO

• Agree

LsxBuickRegal1982

Greasemonkey
Nov 9, 2018
Where can I get some stainless tailpipes that exit out the side like the factory buick t type and grand nationals

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Find a guy with a welder and a saw? Pypes does make a dual 3" y pipe cat back system in BOP style dump but for some reason doesnt put the BOP pipes in the X pipe kit.

I cut the pipes in the section where it is welded in the picture below (its usually a solid mandrel pipe) and turned the pipe 180 degrees and rewelded it and cut the end slash cut. The outlet facing right in this picture faced back in the car when it was installed originally. I also had to move the mount . to where it is here vs the tailpipe in the kit.

1544029040328.png

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor