My 305 is a 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

American Muscle 79

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2018
San Diego, CA
Happy New Year, everyone.

I recently scooped up a 79' El Camino with a 305. It was in running/driving condition when I picked it up, but it had a good amount of leaks. It was also an absolute dog when it came to performance. I believe I clocked 0-60 on the freeway onramp at 11+ seconds.

This winter I decided to pull the engine so I could install new gaskets and maybe put a little cam in it. Though I didn't think it would help much, given the engine. However, once I got the heads pulled off, I found it had a 4" bore. I took a look at the casting number(3970010) that was covered up in paint and oil and sure enough, it looks like my 305 is actually a 350. The seller was certain it was a 305 and I think that's because the heads(378450) and intake manifold were off of a 305.

But hey, a 350? I can do something with that. Lucky for me, I have parts sitting around from my 79' Malibu that have been collecting dust. With some aluminum heads, high rise intake, cam/lifters, headers, and new gaskets/pumps, this thing should be able to get out of its own way. I should be dropping it in this weekend. I'll update this thread when it's done!

Has anyone else been doing some engine work over the winter?
ElCo 6.jpg
ElCo 7.jpg
ElCo 8.jpg
ElCo 9.jpg
ElCo 10.jpg
ElCo 11.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Congrats on the bonus upgrade. I work with the guy who designed those Edelbrock valve covers. I'm glad you went with the chrome set.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Oh wow! Way cool! I'm going to clean up those valve covers and throw them on something else.
Personally, I was never really a fan. Just wanted to brag about my brush with greatness. I think the chrome looks good against the aluminum and black.

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Did you find a reason for the engine running so crappy? Those 305 heads should have made it a a strong bottom ender.

Reactions: 3 users

American Muscle 79

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2018
San Diego, CA
Did you find a reason for the engine running so crappy? Those 305 heads should have made it a a strong bottom ender.
So that's what I thought as well. With the smaller combustion chamber, it should have upped the compression. But after combing through the forums for that specific head casting, I found a lot of people saying that the flow on those heads are awful. From what I understand, in actuality, the combustion chamber isn't much smaller than a stock 350 head, and the intake and exhaust ports are too small to flow a meaningful amount of air. That combined with the fact that I'm setting aside most of the CARB compliant components should give the engine enough room to breathe.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor