My 78 Cutlass..Is it worth fixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjamm7667

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should keep my cutlass and get the bodywork done or just let it go for parts. I'm rebuilding a 5.7 from a 2000 express that I want to put in it. Take a look at the pics...Is it worth the trouble?

The trunk lid has the most rust. The floors, trunk and frame are great. It spent most of its life in NC.

Attachments

• IMAG0233 (640x383).jpg
    IMAG0233 (640x383).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 705
  • IMAG0235 (640x383).jpg
    IMAG0235 (640x383).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 709
  • IMAG0230 (640x383).jpg
    IMAG0230 (640x383).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 710
  • IMAG0243 (800x478).jpg
    IMAG0243 (800x478).jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 692
  • IMAG0246 (800x478).jpg
    IMAG0246 (800x478).jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 709
if the floors, doors, frame is good, then i'd say yes. I thinks those r kinda hard to get parts for. At least around here they are. I got rid of my project cuz the frame and floors were really bad.

brettlaage03 said:
if the floors, doors, frame is good, then i'd say yes. I thinks those r kinda hard to get parts for. At least around here they are. I got rid of my project cuz the frame and floors were really bad.
x2....foundation (frame/floorpan) is the most important factor to the overall condition of the car....all the skins are really just cosmetic and can be fairly easy to replace/repair. Looks pretty good, overall...imo

i say fix it. It also boils down to how much the car is worth to you. My 88 has rotted frame floor, trunk and 1/4s but i'm still determined to fix it because that car did so much form me.

You should get rid of it. I will gladly help by taking it off your hands. It looks cleaner than most upstate NY g bodys.

Trunk deck is a pretty easy find. Bumper inner will be a bit expesive, if you can find it. Otherwise, keep the SOB and fix it to your liking. Try to find a trunk deck for a 78-79 salon :mrgreen:

Man thats alot cleaner than my Monte was when I first got it. I think the floors being in good shape alone is enough reason to fix it. All the ones I see around here usually have a good section rotted out like mine did. Good luck

keep. keep. keep.
idk about u but that body style is extinct in my state. i never see them round my way. and like they said before, the floor and frame is the mot important. u can just replace the trunk or fix the rust. not bad at all. u should look at other members cars on here n see what they done. alot of folks on here been through alot dealing with rust, and yours is nothing compared to most. and like they said, the value is what u want it to be. if its worth fixing to u, then its worth fixing. its YOUR car.

but i say keep it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor