my 78 longroof

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
heres a few pics of my wagon. a little backround on the car. was bought new in 1978 from a dealership in st. Charles, MO. it was completely original when I got it. motor has never been rebuilt that I can tell. I have the original paperwork from the original owner, including warranty stickers, warranty info, and owners manual. was built in Arlington, tx.
car was a 2 tone blue, but I got drunk and spray painted it primer. I removed the stock stereo and installed a songle din tv with 3 inch pioneers and 6x9s from a kia that are factory infinitys. I freshened up the front sway bar with moog bushings and link pins. when I got the car it already had brand new brakes and lines all the way around. ive removed the a/c system. cruise control is next to go. after that its gonna be fixing leaks and cleaning the engine up and bay up.
my future plans are to build a 383 for it. I wanted to build a motor that i could drive daily if i wanted to, but also run at the track. i have a roller 350 block from a 91 caprice interceptor, along with a cast eagle 3.75 crank and eagle 5.7 I-beam rods. i'm looking for a 9:75.1 compression ratio. going to run a full roller valvetrain, still debating on heads, but they will be aluminum. to top it all off with be an air gap intake and a 750 holley. going to run a 22-2500 stall and a 3:42 ratio out back. i'm working on rebuilding the suspension, and trying to find parts to redo the interior. the original owner didn't have a garage, and the car sat outside all its life, so the sun has done significant damage to the dash, as well as all the pillar trim pieces and the tailgate panel. anyways to the pics. i don't have too many right now, but will be taking more as i do more stuff to the car. i love this car, and plan to completely redo it, just like johnny cash, one piece at a time.

DSCN0086_zpsbb8cec9f.jpg

DSCN0087_zps907ffa13.jpg

DSCN0088_zpsf75e17a3.jpg

DSCN0089_zps671a3e8a.jpg

picked up a set of rally wheels. these are the 8s for the back
DSCN0090_zpsfdc0016e.jpg

DSCN0091_zps656b5daf.jpg

engine still the with a/c on it
DSCN0093_zps632e950a.jpg

pile of parts. eagle crank and rods, factory roller parts, serpentine system i robbed from my 4.3 s10, rear sway bar from monte carlo
DSCN0094_zps3bc625fe.jpg

7 inch rallys for the front
DSCN0095_zpsb12758ab.jpg

compressor removed
DSCN0098_zpsc14945cd.jpg

got an air cleaner that was complete and now beat up. i'm going to finish painting it when it warms up a bit
DSCN0099_zpse67102bf.jpg

will get some more pics this weekend hopefully. one the cruise is off i need to replace my valve cover gaskets, so ill repaint the valve covers. motor is still factory blue in some places, and that's the color i'm going with when i paint my 383
enjoy

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard! It's always good to see another wagon pusher join our ranks. I like your build plans. Rallys always look good on these cars. A nicely built 383 will certainly motivate it nicely.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Good luck. Keep us up to date on your project.

BTW, what's that white stuff on the ground? :lol:

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
thanks. I have a lot of plans for the car and its taking time due to a tight budget but i'm hoping to get a lot of small stuff done while saving to build the motor, that way the car will handle it better.

its this snow nonsense, 2 feet in less than a week. ive had enough til next winter lol

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
78_buwag said:
thanks. I have a lot of plans for the car and its taking time due to a tight budget but i'm hoping to get a lot of small stuff done while saving to build the motor, that way the car will handle it better.

its this snow nonsense, 2 feet in less than a week. ive had enough til next winter lol

Yeah, I know what you mean about trying to budget. Cars can be like boats sometimes. Just take your time, pace yourself, and do the work in priority order. Get it in shape mechanically, and work on the body later.

Snow sucks unless you like snow skiing. It can wear on you, that's for sure...been there, done that. Spring is right around the corner, don't despair.

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Longroof79 said:
78_buwag said:

Yeah, I know what you mean about trying to budget. Cars can be like boats sometimes. Just take your time, pace yourself, and do the work in priority order. Get it in shape mechanically, and work on the body later.

Snow sucks unless you like snow skiing. It can wear on you, that's for sure...been there, done that. Spring is right around the corner, don't despair.

yeah not sure what to do first. oh well, i'll get it all done eventually.

ive been skiing this winter, not on skies, but a 28,000 lb trash truck, kinda scary

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
got a nice day so I cleaned up my car and got a couple pics without 20 inches of snow on the ground

DSCN0106_zps35113bea.jpg

DSCN0104_zps9fa50256.jpg

DSCN0105_zps822c12fe.jpg

thinking about putting my baby moons all the way around the wagon.
I picked up a 79 coupe to build as a strip car so this will get redone as a driver

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's amazing what a little soap and water can do to improve the looks of a car.. :)
It doesn't look bad with the chrome steelies and baby moons.
You're gonna be a busy boy between both Malibus. :lol:

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Longroof79 said:
It's amazing what a little soap and water can do to improve the looks of a car.. :)
It doesn't look bad with the chrome steelies and baby moons.
You're gonna be a busy boy between both Malibus. :lol:

I bought those wheels brand new from wheel vintiques last year and had them on my flat black s-10 with a 2/3 lowering kit. it looked sick. sadly it was a cheap kit and the front wouldn't align worth a damn and ate the front tires away. i'm taking it one Malibu at a time, going to focus on the wagon but if I find a good deal on something for the coupe i'm gonna take it and set it aside til it comes time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor