My 79' Monte Carlo Build Thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2012
Hendersonville TN
I just picked up this 79' monte in southern PA.. was a bit of a drive but man was it worth it. Its a 64,000 mile original car, and being "southern pa" car its super super clean. There is a some paint fade and minor checking but to me its perfect. The interior is mint.. lots of ideas floating around in my head.. but first off is 305 s/r torquer heads/lunati voodoo .454 cam/ roller rockers/ medium rise offy intake... also just picked up an 87' SS rear that has 3:73 posi. My only snag so far is...build the th350 or swap in a 4spd stick. I also plan to lower the front 3" and the back 3" too.. maybe some 17 & 18" new cragar ss rims too. Lots of time, very little money.. I scored the motor parts from a buddy...so i saved there.

Attachments

• my 79a.JPG
    my 79a.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,530
  • my 79b.JPG
    my 79b.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,517
  • my 79g.JPG
    my 79g.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,521
  • my 79h.JPG
    my 79h.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,524

jsmay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2012
Hendersonville TN
thank you, yes i plan to hang on to this one for awhile.... gonna start tearing into it next week, damn work is getting in the way this weekend! I'm looking for info on 4 speed swaps....

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Always nice to see another 78-80 monte. Sexiest lines of all the gbodies in my book.yours looks pretty clean.

1SlowBu

Greasemonkey
Jun 17, 2011
Nice clean car. Have fun with the project.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I love that Monte, my first G-Boady was in fact a '79 Monte and those are the sweetes ones of that era for instancve the rear taillights and single headlights.....Alot of people have done the 4 speed swap and I'm sure people will chime in soon. If that was my car, I wouldn't molest it/ cut it up for the swap...I'd keep it automatic..700r4 o/d is also nice. Just my opinion is all. How much you score that sweet ride for? Where abouts in N.Y. are ya? Welcome to GBF 8)

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum. Its a really nice looking car. I have a friend who owns an '80 Monte with the same paint scheme, and it makes for a really classy looking car. If you're swapping in a 3.73 rear gear, you might want to think about an overdrive transmission. That way, you'll be able to have your cake and eat it too-good acceleration, and good fuel economy on the highway. Just ask me, I have an '84 Monte SS with the 3.42 rear gears and no overdrive. Its a bit of a screamer on the highway.

jsmay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2012
Hendersonville TN
Thanks guys, I'm on the fence as far as the 4 speed swap. I'm leaning toward putting that off till next winter. I live up in Webster NY, I got the car way less than the asking price. It was a score. :)
As for the gears, I'm not too worried about overdrive, the last few cars I put together had 4:10's and 4:56's with 4 speed muncies. I view this car as the 55-57' chevy of my generation. So I think it will see many different builds over the years. I love it, and the fact that its such clean shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor