My 81 Rabbit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Just figured i would throw this up here. This is my beater/driver. sold my 89 jeep rustbucket and picked up this vw mostly because my one buddy got me interested in vw's in general. Its a Rabbit L, fuel injected 1.7l with a 4 speed. I've made a lot of changes since i bought it. Plans this summer are some RED paint, tires for the new 14's, and maybe a couple other small things. Juat figured i'd throw my little project up here for the hell of it. I'll let the pics do the talking:

101_0978.jpg

101_0989.jpg

2 part epoxy primer temporarily.
101_1029.jpg

101_1109.jpg

Got parts from a 89 cabriolet. all i wanted off the body for $100, ended up making money selling the parts i didnt use. 8)
101_1185.jpg

Before, stripped off all the paint and powdercoating. these are 13's off a cabriolet parts car.
6969.jpg

After! Lots of time in these
IMG_0267.jpg

Lowered on coilovers on the 13's with balloon tires. :roll:
IMG_0782.jpg

Cut up the bumper to put turn signals in it.
IMG_0772.jpg

Got the new fenders shaved and lip cut and flattened so i can go lower 8)
IMG_0909.jpg

Somewhere along the way, i sold the old roof rack (oem piece) for $250, made my own for $20 and i like it better :mrgreen:
IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

Mine and my buddies jetta that i painted. Its hotrod flatz, single stage metallic pearl.
IMG_0981.jpg

Going to the machine shop! :lol:
IMG_0945.jpg

Picked these 14's up at a show a couple weekends ago. going to get some tires for them soon
IMG_1057.jpg

The big change last weekend! Friday night apart
IMG_1065.jpg

Saturday night together!
IMG_1075.jpg

Got my bumper on and signals wired up tonight.
IMG_1078.jpg

Just a fun car to putt around in. handles like a go cart with the coilovers on, i love it. bouncy as all hell. I get looks everywhere i go. I cant imagine driving a boring car that blends in with everything else, thats why i love this heap and my cutlass :mrgreen:

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
i love mesh style wheels.Those will set that rabbit off. I have 17 in bbs bmw mesh wheels on my monte

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
Nice!....but what happened to the other 2 front lights though? That would have looked wicked with some chrome covers on! :D Love the roof rack! :D great job all around.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Cool Rabbit. I like the Euro style turn signals in the bumper and the BBS wheels are going to look nice on there.
I also like your roof rack... 8) Any GTI goodies under the hood?
Your buddies Jetta looks great in Hot Rod Flatz.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Thanks guys!

Wasn't really a fan of the grill with the inner lights, plus I made quite a bit selling it. 8)

Yeah cant wait to get tires for the BBS. The motor for the cutlass comes first though haha.

Nothing on the motor, just focused on looking good. might swap it to a 16v 2.0 if i can find a setup cheap enough.

The jetta is on air-ride now, just finished the rear setup last night. we need to notch the subframe for the front axles to clear, so it will lay on the ground. Going to georgia this weekend for a big show, should be a blast! Wanted to take the rabbit, but decided not to. Never been down south before, cant wait to talk to some babes :wink:

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I use to own one an 84 rabbit mine was black with blue,red and yellow stripe down the side I bought from a guy that used to race it had a 1.8L in it with a turbo system it had 15" momo 5 star racing rims it was lowered boy do I miss that car to make a long story short I parked it at my moms friends house for a few weeks and when I came to get it back they had let there kids play around in my car her husband striped my intercooler pipes off to try and rig it on some semi truck they had pretty much they f@#ked up my car like it was some abandon junk car I just felt like burning there house down with them in it my mom was pissed off too but I turned around and never went back I was told that they moved it and bury it in there back yard which is 15 acres.But I do miss that car.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I didnt realy have any problems. It striped after 2-3 coats on the hood. We mixed extra and i changed the direction i was spraying for a few more coats, and it turned out perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to spray it again.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
sweet little wind up car! somethin about that style rabbit/golf just grabs your attention. there's a gti and wolfsburg addition for sale here locally, and have wanting to call on them, just ain't really got the cash right now....... :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor