My 83 Wagon

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Making some progress ! Dash is almost back in !
I had to make a quick run to the local yard to find some missing screws. I couldnt find the long hex heads that hold the dash to the cowl by the defroster vents. Grabbed a couple at the yard and a friend of mine gave me a few more out of a parts car in his back yard.
Tomorrow I'll get the fuse block back in and then the cluster. Thanks to the guys on this forum I was able to get the wiring all squared away.

Depending on the weather tomorrow I might take another quick trip to the yard. They have a Cutlass and a Regal that have metal glove boxes. Not the doors but the insides. No little cable on the sides to keep them from dropping open. They also have a nice metal hinge. Mine are plastic and a little warped.
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Mich, is looks great!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That dash is sharp looking, I like it!!!

Mich, is looks great!

Thanks guys ! My plan for today is fuse block, cluster, mounting the tach on the side of the cluster housing. With a little luck I might even get the front seat back in.
It doesnt sound like a lot of work but my neck and back are killing me from crawling around on the floor of the car. Last nights sleep was not good. This getting old crap sucks. LOL

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well guys, Im sure some of you will get a good chuckle out of this post. Some may even feel my frustration. LOL

I went out to the local yard today to grab a few more screws for the dash. While I was there I grabbed the insides of two glove boxes. They had metal hinges and the plastic one for my wagon is warped from age. Figured since it was going to snow later in the day I would have something to do out in the garage. Figured I would use the other one for my 81.
I came home and went right to work. Got the fuse block back in. Got the column back in. Emergency brake handle. I had to fix one of the ground wires. I was on a roll. I didnt tighten the column to the dash because I was sure the cluster wouldnt go in if it was all the way up.
I took the bezel off the cluster. I go to put the cluster in and the top studs wont pop through. Can anyone guess why by looking at the two photos ?
Yup. The harness is in the friggin way. I put it that way because the speaker magnet was in the way and the harness would fit behind it. The harness belongs on the left side of the duct not the right.
So Im taking the day off from the car tomorrow before I snap. I have to pull the column back down. Pull the dash back out. Cut out all the clips that hold the harness to the dash and redo the whole thing. Im not happy but I have to do it.
Now we can go back to the glove boxes. I figured while I was out there I would just switch the insides real quick. I never knew the plastic doors were shaped differently than the metal ones. The inside wont fit on my door. I have to go back in a few days to get the metal door and spray it to match the dash.

I have to say Im pretty pissed tonight. Ive got a nasty headache. Maybe Ive been doing this too long. I always say if working on old cars was easy everyone would be doing it. LMAO
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well guys, Im sure some of you will get a good chuckle out of this post. Some may even feel my frustration. LOL

I went out to the local yard today to grab a few more screws for the dash. While I was there I grabbed the insides of two glove boxes. They had metal hinges and the plastic one for my wagon is warped from age. Figured since it was going to snow later in the day I would have something to do out in the garage. Figured I would use the other one for my 81.
I came home and went right to work. Got the fuse block back in. Got the column back in. Emergency brake handle. I had to fix one of the ground wires. I was on a roll. I didnt tighten the column to the dash because I was sure the cluster wouldnt go in if it was all the way up.
I took the bezel off the cluster. I go to put the cluster in and the top studs wont pop through. Can anyone guess why by looking at the two photos ?
Yup. The harness is in the friggin way. I put it that way because the speaker magnet was in the way and the harness would fit behind it. The harness belongs on the left side of the duct not the right.
So Im taking the day off from the car tomorrow before I snap. I have to pull the column back down. Pull the dash back out. Cut out all the clips that hold the harness to the dash and redo the whole thing. Im not happy but I have to do it.
Now we can go back to the glove boxes. I figured while I was out there I would just switch the insides real quick. I never knew the plastic doors were shaped differently than the metal ones. The inside wont fit on my door. I have to go back in a few days to get the metal door and spray it to match the dash.

I have to say Im pretty pissed tonight. Ive got a nasty headache. Maybe Ive been doing this too long. I always say if working on old cars was easy everyone would be doing it. LMAO View attachment 84144 View attachment 84145
Don't sweat it that was a test fit and it looked dam good

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Take a break. That car will be your treasure some day. Hopefully the ‘car-ma’ in posting this problem will come back five-fold as you learn from others’ postings. I’m glad you found some survivor parts and can put them to use!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
A little more progress, a little more frustration.

I have the dash pretty much in. I had to redo the whole harness for the dash. Cut all the clips, tape in new ones. Got the glove box switched over to the metal door and the newer style inside. Column is in but I still have to attach the connectors. Touched up a couple of spots that were scratched taking the thing in and out a dozen times.
Now the frustrating part. You knew it was coming. LOL
As I was attaching the emergency brake release (you know, that stupid little yellow plastic thing that looks like a grommet) I pushed the cable back and it cracked the plastic where the release snaps in. Yeah, I was pretty pissed. I think the easiest fix will be making a piece the same size and gluing it over the crack. I have a piece of the textured plastic left over from the gauge mount. Paint it the same color as the dash. I think it will hide the screw up.
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor