My 84 Monte SS build (slowly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
In a previous post I talked about getting this 84 SS out of a salvage yard that has set since 2005. I traded a rough 76 camaro and $250 cash for the SS ($650 total invested it purchasing it). Not knowing if it ran or really anything about it, I started to dive into it. First thing first i had to replace ignition, once that was done I put a battery in it and she turned over fine (to my surprise). Broken distributor wire later i got it running but really rough. I was swapping to a aluminum dual plane intake when i notice the driver side head valve spring broke and about to drop a valve.

I have replaced the head, intake, carb, distributor, drive shaft (ujoints in the yoke were completly gone, i had a spare drive shaft with good ujoints to replace it with) fuel pump, water pump, thermostat and i put headers on it. Fires right up and runs good but now i have oil leak out the back of intake from not getting it sealed enough.

The car is rusty I have found. Passenger side floor is pretty much gone. I plan on replacing carpet so ill fix the floors then.

I really want this for a cruiser and capable of a daily. I'm going to wear this 305 out and I would really like to get my feet wet with a LS swap although I know nothing about doing one.

Once I fix the rust and get exhaust put on and all that, I'm going to start on body work. I work two jobs (ones a side job) so I put my money into the car with that when I can, I also have two little girls and a wife so I don't get to spend as much time as I hoped on the car or money lol

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 243

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
some pics today

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 263
Reactions: 1 users

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
I found the leak (at least one of them) and it was the oil pressure sensor. I bought these cheap Chinese gauges that came with digital oil pressure, temp and volts. I should've paid more attention because everything's metric lol. I fixed the oil leak on the sensor when i replaced it, put new spark plugs in and its running perfect. I power washed all the dirt and leaves off the car and motor and gave it a oil change. Now I noticed it wasn't the oil leak from the sensor causing the puddle of oil but more than likely its the rear main seal. Really sucks, seems like its one thing after another.

On the bright side it cleans up decent for being rusty and I slapped some beauty rings on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 247
Reactions: 2 users

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
Pretty happy it cleaned up for what it is. I have some questions if anyone can help me. Before I changed everything my dome lights all worked and my heater would turn on. Now they won't. I have all the vacuum lines hooked up

Attachments

• IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 246
Reactions: 1 users

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
Has anyone changed just a cam in a stock 305? I put a dual plan aluminum intake on it and holley carb, got it running great and now has a pretty good oil leak. Confirm it is out of the rear main seal. I will be pulling the motor out to fix the leak, go ahead and replace timing chain and clean it up and re-paint. Told myself if I pulled this motor it wasn't going back in since its just a 305, but really don't want to slap my 355 in it since its my dirt car motor. So if I'm going to go through all this trouble I'd like to at least replace the cam that I have, .450 lift nothing crazy but power for small RPMs.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I don't think a cam is going to help you much. 305's need more compression to make them run better.

rustydustydoc

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2019
I don't think a cam is going to help you much. 305's need more compression to make them run better.

Kinda figured so but at least I get a good sound I guess lol. This motor does have flat top pistons and have been told that is the HO version of the 305? wouldn't that mean more compression?

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I believe the 305 had between 140 and 190 hp depending on model at something like 4000 rpms. Low rpm due to lack of airflow. it's not a powerhouse by any means

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
S
Kinda figured so but at least I get a good sound I guess lol. This motor does have flat top pistons and have been told that is the HO version of the 305? wouldn't that mean more compression?
Should have. I had a 305 with flat top pistons and a RV cam. It felt pretty peppy for 1997. In today's standards, it would be slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor