My awesome 0-60 time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
About a year! :lol: I recently hit 60... for the first time in months. My 84 Regal was in rough shape when I got it. I put a lot of work getting it running again and problem after problem kept cropping up. When I thought I had everything fixed, I started having this problem where the engine would cough and sputter every time I floored it. I couldn't get up a steep hill at more than 25 MPH (NOT GOOD on the freeway!). I checked back pressure float level, fuel pump pressure... some of the things I checked were sure messed up but it didn't fix my problem.

Finally figured out that the linkage to the throttle position sensor was missing. I had never worked on a computer-controlled carburetor before so I just filed that away under "electronic bullshit: ignore." Finally decided to see what all that fancy 1980s computer tech did. Oh, how lovely. The TPS lets the computer know to send more fuel when the throttle opens. It doesn't do it mechanically so as far as the power circuit was concerned my foot was off the gas the whole time. Amazing what a half-inch long bit of metal can do for you. I shudder to think of what I've done to that engine, running it so lean every time I tried to go uphill... :shock:

(yes, I know this isn't the sort of awesome "G-Body Tale" the forum was designed for... I just thought it was amusing to measure my 0-60 time in months 😛 )

Honestly I feel much more comfortable workin on modern fuel injection cars than that computer controlled carb bull s%$#!! You would expect a carbuerated car to be somewhat east to work on, nope not with cca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor