My Cold Case radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I cleaned up the outer edges where the upper saddle pads sit so no plastic hitting/rubbing the rad. Might have to trim a small spot on the outer edges on the saddle pads to look alittle cleaner. Even put the fan on to see if everything is somewhat center & make sure no blade contact (good now, with my luck it'll hit when all the sheet metal is on.)

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I've got it actully fitting OK with the shroud now. Filled in the holes the previous owner put in it & fixed a crack that was in a poorly attempted hole. Now on average there is about 1/2" gap between the shroud & rad where the side ribs/fillers were on the shroud (not the space of whats left of the rib to rad).Then there is about 3/8" space from the outer eddge of the shroud to where the tanks joint the core. This has me thinking hell with filling that void & just clean up the whats left of the ribs to look even & put a good coat of black paint on it to make it look good then say hell with it to call that part done. Then this nightmare of direct fits parts will be over.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just took the rest of the rib off each side to make the suface even. I originally cut it too wavy so now it's a nice flat surface if I'm going to fill the void.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
New fun today. While looking thru the garage to figure out what to sell I got out som of the smaller hoses as I'm planing a near full mock up of the under hood to see what is needed or changed. Looking at the overflow nipple it didn't look 3/8", so slip of the hose to see how far off (& to see by chance it's a metric size) it was. too small, looks 5/16". So I figured I'd just screw it off & put on a brass one in the stash. Lightly working the the wrench. "SNAP!!!" So now I have to drill & tap it but to add to the fun it's not 1/8" pipe, it's...(wait for it)...1/16"! So the new nipple would of never threaded in. To add to it NOBODY in the area has a 1/16" pipe tap. Only fitting I found were air line fittings with a micro orfice that would need bored out but it would adapt to 1/8". Called Cold Case to let them know (& to see if I'm going to void the warranty), to they can send me another nipple (FYI, all their rads use this nipple.) Since no tap around to keep it that size & it's smaller than the hose I'll have to send pics of the damage & proof of purchase so they can have it on record for down the road. Really wish I could of found a rad shop to fix the old 3 core.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It may have been locktighted

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Now I'll have to find a 1/16" pipe tap as there is not much space I am going to fill comfortable boring out to go 1/8". Then the hunt for a 3/8" nipple with 1/16" pipe. I might have to creative but not to look like a 💩 job with an 1/16" to 1/8" adapter.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My new champion has a stupidly small nipple too...
WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor