My Crazy 84 and 85 Olds Matchbook Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Welllllll.........it's not quite G-body specifically, but the reason I did it was because it is specifically for my G-bodies.

I ran across my "NOS" dealership keychains and rear dealer stick-on nameplate recently. Which got me to thinking about other dealership stuff. I recalled the dealership always had these tire ash trays laying on everyone's desk and piles of advertising matchbooks with "Special feel in an Oldsmobile" on them while I was waiting for delivery of my 85. Like a dumba$$, I didn't even consider snagging everything I could back then, I just asked them about keeping the window sticker. At 24, you don't usually think that far ahead. "But yeah, we remove these for customers all the time!" My luck I got a rookie who had absolutely NO idea about how to remove it and tore it to shreds getting it off. I remember being so friggin' mad about that. I got a "dealer copy" as a consolation prize, but it wasn't the same as an actual window sticker. I always seem to get the "dumb" ones. :) I should have done it myself. But back then, I had no idea I'd still have the car today.

So back to the matchbooks. Messing around on ebay, I found the EXACT style matchbook cover I needed...so I picked up 84 and 87 ones too, since I got both kinds of cars. The goal is to make some matchbooks to lay around inside the car, on the dash, in the ash tray or console or something, to give it that little extra dealership swag that likely nobody else will have when showing the car. More of a conversation piece. I hardly ever see that kind of stuff. And since I'll probably NEVER see an 84 H.E. Miller Olds or 85 James Olds dealership matchbook the rest of my life, I figured I should just attempt to make a small run of my own "dealership" matchbooks. Here's the actual real-deal 84 and 85 Olds matchbook covers. Made by Superior Match Company out of Chicago. Sadly, they closed in 1990.

84 85 Matchbook Covers.JPG

The 84 shouldn't be too difficult to replicate, but the 85 had some raised gold metallic hot stamping action, so it looks dark in the pics, but it's actually a brighter gold in good light. I cannot duplicate that easily, so I'll just have to compromise. Anyway, the insides of the matchbooks have writing on them showing the entire Olds lineup for that year. I was debating on whether to replicate the inside printing or not, but ultimately decided to give it a whirl.

84 85 Matchbook Covers Inside.JPG

So with that, I decided to see what I could work with and see if it would even come out halfway correct-looking.

84 85 Matchbook Covers DRAFTS.JPG

84 85 Matchbook Covers DRAFTS back.JPG

84 85 Matchbook Covers DRAFTS 84 inside.JPG

Keep in mind, these are quick drafts printed on regular paper and no way shape or form are ready for prime time (I even misspelled "88 ROYALE" on one line. Fixed it already.) But I think it's passable. I just need to get some 110 lb cardstock...or actually equivalent weight gloss coated cover stock to make the matchbooks. To do it more exact, it'll need to be more of an eggshell color or off-white. But regular white will probably do.

And then I also need to get some striker material for the matches. I was able to source some dark charcoal adhesive strike sheets that should fit the bill and cut the size I need for the strip across the back.

The dilemma now was wtf, I need to get the whitehead black matches!! These are wider than normal, and take 30 match counts. Which aren't your standard 20 count and the covers are a tad wider than the typical 30 count matchbooks. I tried contacting some matchbook companies to see how much it would cost me to get some custom ones made. OMFG! It wasn't horrible, but I'd have to order, in most cases, 2500 or more!!! It is only several hundred dollars though doing it in bulk with the artwork and setup fees, and I'm sure it would work, but it's a bit way too much money for a few matchbooks. And I'll have more matchbooks than the dealership had probably. I'll never need that many in my life.

Ebay comes through again! Generally, you can find a single dealership 30-strike matchbook or two going for 12-15 bucks or more EACH. I got lucky. I found a box and a partial box (total 89 books) of 1986 Oldsmobile matchbooks for a very reasonable price considering the project. We'll see what happens. Maybe I can get something that works in the end. I'll update this if/when I get some workable prototypes finished.

86 Oldsmobile Matchbooks.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I have no doubt that you will be successful in replicating those matchbooks. I need one, just because it has my name on it, LOL. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Reactions: 1 users

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
That's absolutely awesome, I'm looking forward to see how you come along on that project. Because if you're successful I'd love to get my hands on one matchbook.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
85 Prototype is completed. Not as close to original as I'd like, but I find it passable. Made from ivory cardstock which is the same thickness/weight as the original coated cardstock. I searched and searched and couldn't get the coated stuff unless I paid a hefty sum for a ream of coated paper in the right color, so I decided just to go naked. Mod Podge at the hobby store is made to clear coat the stuff if I desired to get the clear effect, but I'm not sure I'm going to do that. Again, it is hobby-grade and will suit my purpose as having some dealer type swag in the car. I've never seen anyone strategically place dealer matchbooks in their car before, so it'll be something a bit different.

85 Olds Matchbook Prototype 2.JPG

The striker area on the back actually is match striker material I was able to dig up. Thin, adhesive backed. Cut it to size and peel and stick. The original stuff was simply painted on. Don't know what they used, but the peel and stick does just as well.

85 Olds Matchbook Prototype 3.JPG

85 Olds Matchbook Prototype 5.JPG

85 Olds Matchbook Prototype 4.JPG

Matches were stolen from the 86 Olds matchbooks, so they're of the exact style. A mini-staple did the job, although the match company's original staple is a tad longer. Oh well. The goal wasn't for exact duplicate, but something that resembled it and carried the James Oldsmobile name. Note the printing on the inside got a bit higher than I wanted and cut off some of the writing a bit. A slight alignment issue, but I since resolved that.

85 Olds Matchbook Prototype 1.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
This project of yours made me think of the 1984 Dealer sales record plaque that I have. It could use a polish, but it's in very good condition. I keep it in a large Ziplok. Some matchbooks would look good thrown in there. (y)
IMG_2949.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Man, this is tougher than I thought. I can see why they used coated paper now. I got that phosphorous strike area dusty stuff all over my fingers and didn't realize it and mucked up the 84 prototype matchbook by smudging it up. And since it's not coated card stock, well, there you are.

Anyway, here's my latest rendition of the 84 style. Compared to an actual genuine matchbook. Which obviously looks SO much nicer than mine. I don't think I can replicate it to that degree. But they'll do what I want, I believe. But the matches will be functional! I think I'll try that paper clear sealer stuff before sticking on the striker strip. Dammit.

84 Olds Matchbook prototype 1.JPG

The only H.E. Miller Olds 84 matchbook in the world... :) I wish I could find a real one, though.
84 Olds Matchbook prototype 2.JPG
84 Olds Matchbook prototype 3.JPG
84 Olds Matchbook prototype 4.JPG
84 Olds Matchbook prototype 5.JPG

Who's idea was it to bury the special feel slogan behind the matches?

84 Olds Matchbook prototype 6.JPG

Easy to tell which is the genuine article here. Mine doesn't even hold a candle to it. They obviously used a lot better production method than my cheap azz. But considering I'd have to shell out over $600 just to start, with a minimum order of 2500 books, EACH....I'll live with the shortcomings.

84 Olds Matchbook prototype 7.JPG
84 Olds Matchbook prototype 8.JPG

I got to get better with the stapler. It slipped a bit when I went to push it through the 2 layers of matches.
84 Olds Matchbook prototype 9.JPG
84 Olds Matchbook prototype 10.JPG

Finally, here's 84, 85, 86 and 87 Matchbooks. The genuine articles. I was just able to get the covers, but with a little reconstruction using 86 books, I made a whole set.
84 through 87 Genuine Matchbooks.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor