My Dealer Ad License Plate Has Seen Better Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When you buy a new car, especially back in the 80s, if you got a front plate mount, sometimes the dealer would put their dealership plate on the front of the car. Some came with rear plate frames, or paper plates, etc.

Back in the 80's, James Oldsmobile in North Charleston, SC, would put an aluminum plate in the front of cars that had plate holders. Case in point, my 1985 442 came with the obligatory front holder, but no plate like the 83/84 H/Os did. So after about a year of it sitting up front, I made my own with the dealer plate. I flipped it over, painted it black and placed a door 442 decal right in the center of it then mounted it. Much better. When I finally took the plate off to see if I could clean up the plate and reuse it a little while back, I was met with this:

jamesoldsplate001.jpg

Blah. This was after I had cleaned it up the best I could. Luckily no rock dents, but dang... It was silk screen on a medium gray brushed aluminum plate. Which also was kinda weird as the brush effects went vertical, not horizontal like most. I could clean it better, but there seems to be some sort of coating on the aluminum to keep it from corroding.

So, looking into my options, I wanted to find another plate and reproduce the look.

Little did I know that to get a plate reproduced with simple silkscreen for just a few plates wouldn't be terribly cost prohibitive- but it was the setup and graphic fees that were huge upfront, no matter if you're doing 1 or 500.

Option 2, I tagged an online place that claims to be able to make aluminum plates, but apparently it's not silkscreen. I suspect it's some sort of digital printing or sometimes called ink sublimation. They claim UV protection though.

I guess we'll see. I ordered up 3 plates. Cost me 38 bucks with my 10% first timer discount. It's called www.bestofsigns.com out of Greer, SC. Kinda not but sorta local to me. We'll see how that works out. I read mixed reviews, a lot of happy customers but some weren't so happy. For 38 bucks I'll take the chance. Here's a sample of the artwork I submitted for them. Closest brushed background I could find:

James Oldsmobile license plate sample.jpg

If I was smart I would have got the dealer to give me a couple more of those plates back then. I did get him to give me some trinkets though, which are in hot standby:

85 442 olds dealer fobs.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Nov 4, 2012
Did you also save the boxes to your hotwheels cars when you were a kid? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Hey 69hurstolds, I saw this dealer plate at the junkyard last week and thought of you, so I grabbed it. The Ford dealer I work for just puts stickers on the backs of the cars we sell, we don't have any cool badges or plates. Not even keychains. This one is from another area dealer that puts plates on their cars. I'm sure it'll piss off somebody at work when I pull up with a competitors plate on my truck :LOL:

IMG_20190818_203001696-2672x2004.jpg

• Clever
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you also save the boxes to your hotwheels cars when you were a kid? ;)
Those were Matchbox cars. Hotwheels came in blister packs back then. Ironically, no I didn't keep any of the packages. You know all those aluminum tire "badges" with the foldover clip on them? I didn't even bother with those. I just took the car out and trashed the rest. Found out not that long ago those aluminum badges by themselves would bring in some coin. Who knew when you're a kid?

We played with those bastages until the paint wore off. Or tires came off one. Watch out, those little pin axles hurt like a b*tch if you slipped pressing the tire back on. Those were the days.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So far so... WTF? I've rejected their "artwork" 2 times already. First time they had it on a white background and things weren't in line correctly. 2nd time they got it much better, but then made the damn rocket emblem smaller and shifted to the left. Grrrr.

I sent them the dang template AGAIN. LOOK AT IT. How hard is this? Luckily, they say they'll keep going until I'm satisfied. That was a dumb thing for them to say....

Guess I'll see their 3rd attempt tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, it's been sent back. Waiting for pass #4. Seems they made the rocket the right size, but it's still moved over too far to the left. All they got to do is move the rocket closer to the lettering. 3/4" space between the J and the rocket. THAT'S ALL YOU GOTTA DO!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY... I could be a dlck and tell them to slightly move the "James" over to the right a bit where it was originally, but then figure it'd take another week for those guys to figure out how to get it back right after they fugg that up. I'll let that slide if they can just move that rocket over a little bit.

This is what they sent me today. Of course, it's wrong, but don't worry, I let them know.

James Oldsmobile plate attempt number 3.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Have a couple dozen of those dealer plates at work, they make great isolaters/protectors when welding pinchwelds near interior trim (we stick 'em between the panel and the welding blanket)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, I approved version 4. Even though there's two little tiny things I would want changed but if I did that I think their incompetence would be magnified and I'd spend way too long trying to get them to fix it right.

For one, the red in the rocket is a bit darker than original, but that could be from computer screen, who knows. I can live with it if it's a tad darker. Also, the "James" is lined up with the "Chalreston" edge, where the original has the James moved slightly over to the right of that. Not by much, but just a bit. But I already told them just to leave that go, as I'll just live with it.

I haven't seen another plate out there like this one anyway so only myself and y'all know the flaws.

It's now in production, so now just waiting for the finished plates to get to me.

James Oldsmobile plate final attempt.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No wonder...they were shipped from India. Good thing is, they came in like 4 days since FedEx got them.

Not real sure about the quality, that's why I got 3 of them. The printing is crisp and clear. Not sure about the way they fused it to the plate. At least the plate is metal. But here they are. Not like people are going to notice the flaws.

They sent them, so I'm sending them, too! :)

finished promo plates James Oldsmobile.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor