My Dodge Truck Project (Cummins Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Now here is something my brother told me. Use the passenger side cushion on the driver’s side. They always have less wear.

True, but often there are seat belt holes or arm rest holes waiting to screw you out of that option. Or electric seat controls on the outboard side.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
So you reclaimed it so you can sell it again, right. ;)
Not gonna lie, I thought about it for a minute.
Now here is something my brother told me. Use the passenger side cushion on the driver’s side. They always have less wear.
Yeah unfortunately the seats aren't symmetrical. I was hoping I could swap the cushions but the outside is more rounded than the inside.

Nov 4, 2012
Got my wiring harness from BD Diesel today. A bit overpriced for what it was, but it was convenient. Install was easy and I think I kept the wiring neat considering how many wires are involved. I hooked it up to the same scotchloks that were already on the wires from when this was installed before. I hate scotchloks but I didn't put them there so I don't feel bad for reusing them. Reused another hole in the dash for the switch too.
20220805_192536.jpg
20220805_192840.jpg

It works as advertised. Operation is a bit odd, it doesn't engage in overdrive, so at highway speed you have to turn overdrive off, then blip the throttle to activate it. It works that way by design, it's just strange to get used to.

I got a Dashmat to try to keep the sun off of that hen's tooth of a dashboard. I really don't want to use any of the double sided tape they supplied, I'm hoping it naturally conforms to the dash a bit more that it is now.
20220805_194101.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Got my wiring harness from BD Diesel today. A bit overpriced for what it was, but it was convenient. Install was easy and I think I kept the wiring neat considering how many wires are involved. I hooked it up to the same scotchloks that were already on the wires from when this was installed before. I hate scotchloks but I didn't put them there so I don't feel bad for reusing them. Reused another hole in the dash for the switch too.
View attachment 204100 View attachment 204101
It works as advertised. Operation is a bit odd, it doesn't engage in overdrive, so at highway speed you have to turn overdrive off, then blip the throttle to activate it. It works that way by design, it's just strange to get used to.

I got a Dashmat to try to keep the sun off of that hen's tooth of a dashboard. I really don't want to use any of the double sided tape they supplied, I'm hoping it naturally conforms to the dash a bit more that it is now.
View attachment 204102
Couple pieces of Velcro on a few hidden edges? Though with the heat that wouldn’t work even.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
View attachment 204100 View attachment 204101

View attachment 204102
Couple hot days will probably help lay it out a bit more. Sort of how a newly upholstered seat tightens up a bit after some time in the sun

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Today I finally tackled the Killer Dowel Pin. The killer dowel pin, the 12 valve's Achilles heel, is a dowel pin that aligns the timing case with the block. It has been known to rattle out of its bore and get jammed up in the timing gears and cause all kinds of damage. The fix is a metal tab that goes over it to prevent it from coming out. Lots of places make kits for tabbing the KDP, some people make their own, I bought a kit from Geno's Garage, they specialize in Dodge Cummins stuff. It came with the tab, a longer bolt, the crank seal, some loctite, and some black RTV.
20170804_150030-scaled.jpg

The RTV looked suspicious so I used my own Permatex 5 minute gasket. Could've bought a gasket too but Cummins themselves switched to RTV on the later 5.9s so I don't feel guilty. Fortunately my dowel pin was still firmly seated in it's bore but the timing cover seal was leaking so that is fixed, and now I don't have to worry about the potential catastrophic failure if it were to fall out.
20220813_144730.jpg

20220813_144621.jpg

20220813_191237.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Today I finally tackled the Killer Dowel Pin. The killer dowel pin, the 12 valve's Achilles heel, is a dowel pin that aligns the timing case with the block. It has been known to rattle out of its bore and get jammed up in the timing gears and cause all kinds of damage. The fix is a metal tab that goes over it to prevent it from coming out. Lots of places make kits for tabbing the KDP, some people make their own, I bought a kit from Geno's Garage, they specialize in Dodge Cummins stuff. It came with the tab, a longer bolt, the crank seal, some loctite, and some black RTV.
View attachment 204628
The RTV looked suspicious so I used my own Permatex 5 minute gasket. Could've bought a gasket too but Cummins themselves switched to RTV on the later 5.9s so I don't feel guilty. Fortunately my dowel pin was still firmly seated in it's bore but the timing cover seal was leaking so that is fixed, and now I don't have to worry about the potential catastrophic failure if it were to fall out.
View attachment 204626
View attachment 204625
View attachment 204627
The little things that can make a bad day. Good to catch it ahead of time. 👍

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor