My El Camino is getting a 8.1/4l80 conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
Here's the update. 8.1 dropped in. GForce gbody 4L80 cross member fit perfectly. I used hooker headers 2455 for a big block. It took a lot of banging and trimming to get them to fit. I sent the computer to black bear performance for the tune. Should be done any day
20150819_092751.jpg
20150827_090028.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like that you still have the ac and heater box......:)

does the stock hood still fit?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
I always loved the 8.1's but the factory tune doesn't do them justice and they have the torque management from the factory so i had the tuner take out all the torque management. Yeah I'm definitely gonna post some vids. should be fun to drive. I have a tru trac posi with 3.73's.
And i had to remove the AC pump because it didn't fit. There is a different accessory set up for the 8.1 that mounts the ac up top on the passenger side but i didn't plan on running the ac. I have the two inch cowl hood so i hope it clears

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Wow. It fits. I want to see this finished! Maybe vacuum the leaves out while you have the hood off?

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
Hey guys. The external fuel pump is mounted, drive shaft and trans mount are also hooked up. I had to get new trans lines and fittings for the 4L80. I have to get some more parts. I need a new maf sensor, new radiator, and I'm going with a Ford Taurus electric fan. Pretty close to getting done.

Reactions: 1 user

8.1elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2015
I believe the wagon on bangshift had the stock clutch fan and with the stock fun the intake has to be pointed up and the throttle body is pointed upward and you can see that in the pictures I posted. Since I'm going with a electric fan there is a lot more space and i purchased a 45° angle rubber elbow for the throttle body so I can mount the cold air intake straight like the normal LS are able. Hopefully that solves the problem of having to cut the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor