My Experience Spraying Rustoleum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I will point out that I am not doing this on a car right now, but on a metal screened structure for a porch and swimming pool. Anyhow, most of us have heard of the roller and brush then sand till you bleed method of painting a car with a $25 gallon of oil based Rustoleum. I tried it with a $15 Harbor Freight gravity feed gun and a 25 gallon, 4 hp Craftsman air compressor, and it comes out pretty good! As per the instructions on the can, I thinned it with Acetone and sprayed away. I am using white, and in doing a replacement screen door that was brown (I bought it used from Habitat for Humanity's Re-store) it took about 4 coats to get full coverage. It goes on smooth and would give a good finish with enough sanding and buffing, but would likely require 5 or 6 coats to give enough of a sanding base. Anyhow, I just thought I would throw this out there for anyone who was thinking about trying the roller and brush method. Also, you could try something like a Wagner power painter with this paint and probably get similar results.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Thats how I did one of my cars last fall. I sprayed the black Rustoleum thinned out w. Acetone. I didnt even buff it out afterward. It shot ok but its bs if you ask me. Causes alot of problems down the road if you want a bc/cc later. More than likely have to strip to bare metal if the mil thickness is to high if you roll it.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I like it when people paint there cars that way because it makes mine look so much better.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
You mean a sprayed on coat of Rustoleum wouldn't help my car?

Yes, when I get a *real* paint job, it will go down to bare metal...

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
I've sprayed a 2000 copcar with it using a $50 HVLP gun. The first time the paint ran like an MF'r. I split it with mineral spirits and after sanding everything down, the second time (diluted half as much) went much better. I will never own a fancy showcar so I'll pretty much spray any used car I'll ever own this way.
I've done the roller method also, but it's 100 times easier to just spray it.
I look at the whole thing as a middle ground between rattle cans and Maaco. I can paint an entire car for about $60. Nuff said.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Earl Scheib would be proud of you... :lol: :rofl:

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
Longroof79 said:
Earl Scheib would be proud of you... :lol: :rofl:
I just sold that car for $1,200. I'm proud of me. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor