MY EYE!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I was working on the Bonneville last night, and got the usual face full of rust. This morning, I had some severe irritation in my left eye. I tried sweeping the upper lid with the lower, flushing with water, etc. Finally threw in the towel, and went to an ophthalmologist. Numbing drops, tweezers, antibiotic drops, and antibiotic gel later, I'm recovering, I guess. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES KIDS! I didn't; you're real tough right up until the incident.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Totally agree -- great advice. Only have one set of eyes..

I was working on the Bonneville last night, and got the usual face full of rust. This morning, I had some severe irritation in my left eye. I tried sweeping the upper lid with the lower, flushing with water, etc. Finally threw in the towel, and went to an ophthalmologist. Numbing drops, tweezers, antibiotic drops, and antibiotic gel later, I'm recovering, I guess. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES KIDS! I didn't; you're real tough right up until the incident.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I've been to the ER no less than five times for rust or metal fragments in my eye. The last time the eye doc said my corneas look like minefields from all the scars where they removed shards of metal and rust. I do wear safety glasses (most of the time). My eye doc probably thinks I'm the worst liar in the world when I say that, lmao! My vision is still 20/20 however, so how thats possible I will never know.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Been there. Had a tiny fleck of steel get past my glasses off of the grinder. It was a new patch panel so the fleck actually rusted while lodged on my eye. A few months later I ended up with an abrasion in the same eye from something off the weedeater. Both incidents were painful and expensive. Glasses are not enough. I like these 3m goggles...

https://www.google.com/search?ei=2Y...bile-gws-serp..0.2.422...0i13k1.0.V6oK2qx3deY

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Been there done that. Grinding the spindles for the wagon, took a piece of the disk into my eye, trip to the ER - left me waiting for about 10 hours, the hack of an ER doctor froze my eye and picked out the large chunk with a syringe needle, next day I got to go back to the ophthalmologist so he could freeze my eye again and use a Dremel to grind out the rust ring that had formed from waiting so long to have it removed.

Still not the worst pain I have experienced working on a car - that would be getting gasoline in my ear.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I had a steel sliver stuck in my eye from working on a car, it wasn't fun feeling the doc dig it out after the magnet trick failed so I go along with you with warning to wear safety glasses. I had to wear an eye patch for a week and was not permitted to drive during that time

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Been there done that. Grinding the spindles for the wagon, took a piece of the disk into my eye, trip to the ER - left me waiting for about 10 hours, the hack of an ER doctor froze my eye and picked out the large chunk with a syringe needle, next day I got to go back to the ophthalmologist so he could freeze my eye again and use a Dremel to grind out the rust ring that had formed from waiting so long to have it removed.

Still not the worst pain I have experienced working on a car - that would be getting gasoline in my ear.
Ah yes, the joy of the Dremel removing the rust ring. Amazing how fast rust will stain your eye. I don't know how bad gasoline is in an ear, but if it's anything like a piece of welding slag in an ear....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Ah yes, the joy of the Dremel removing the rust ring. Amazing how fast rust will stain your eye. I don't know how bad gasoline is in an ear, but if it's anything like a piece of welding slag in an ear....

I am very familiar with that Dremel tool lol. I've had weld slag in my ear, welding up the frame on my old Chevy truck. For a couple hours I honestly thought I was going to be deaf in that ear.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Damn, I'm grateful I've never had gasoline or welding slag in my ear.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor