My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Nov 4, 2012
Well the frame shop welded up the crack in the crossmember today. They did a really nice job as per usual. Now I'm gonna make a frame brace out of some 3x3 1/4" thick angle iron for the front at their suggestion. Then I'm gonna do one more oil change and start driving it daily.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Easy fix. Congrats on passing the other stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Easy fix. Congrats on passing the other stuff.

Yep, it was small potatoes for the guys at the frame shop. Thanks, passing inspection and emissions felt like passing high school again. Whew, what a relief.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2012
Well I built a brace for the frame today. Went to the metal supply yard and bought 80" of 1/4" thick 3"x3" steel angle. Probably overkill, but what the hell. So I cut it in half and bolted the halves together to make a "T" and then bolted it up to the frame with some 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Took it back apart and painted it with some Hammerite spray paint. I'll bolt it back on for good tomorrow.

IMG_20180424_163755958_LL-2672x2004.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
I've been driving the truck pretty regularly now, probably 65% of the time. We've been having absolutely gorgeous weather finally and it's really nice to take the truck out for a drive without worrying about getting covered in slush and salt.

I changed out the fuel filter as preventative maintenance, because who knows when it was last replaced. Still have to change the oil out for 10w-30. I have 5w-30 in it from winter. I charged up the A/C and it worked damn good for a couple days until the refrigerant leaked out. I found the leak quite easily as I could see the green refrigerant leaking out of one of the hoses. The hose is available at all the parts stores and it's not expensive, so I'll have nice cold A/C soon. I took the cap back off. While I do like it, I don't really need to keep the bed dry and it really hinders visibility. So the cap is sitting in the backyard until I decide I want it on again.

Continuing to sort through some minor issues and add some of the final pieces. I've had a minor vibration with my tires since I had them mounted. It occurred from 25-50 mph at first. Then I had them rebalanced and there was no change. So today I took the tires and had them spun on a Hunter Road Force Balancer, and the vibration is better but not gone. Now it only occurs from 25 to about 35 mph. The tire shop that did the balance said that some of the newer all terrain patterns are tough to balance and I'm not the first one with this type of issue. For now I think the vibration is fixed well enough that I can ignore it.

Also I'm still having a pop/clunk noise. The ball joints are all super tight (pass side are new) the tie rods are good, the radius arm bushings and brackets were replaced by the PO right before I bought it as were the spring hangers and shackles. I just had the truck in the frame shop so I know the frame is tight. The noise only happens when cresting a hill and making a 90° turn at the same time, and yet it doesnt make the noise every time. And the noise is very hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. I can't reproduce the noise when the truck is parked. The axle pivot bushings are tight, and I don't have sway bars. Anyway I've been thinking about that clunk too much today and its wearing me out. I gotta get my mind off of it.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've been driving the truck pretty regularly now, probably 65% of the time. We've been having absolutely gorgeous weather finally and it's really nice to take the truck out for a drive without worrying about getting covered in slush and salt.

I changed out the fuel filter as preventative maintenance, because who knows when it was last replaced. Still have to change the oil out for 10w-30. I have 5w-30 in it from winter. I charged up the A/C and it worked damn good for a couple days until the refrigerant leaked out. I found the leak quite easily as I could see the green refrigerant leaking out of one of the hoses. The hose is available at all the parts stores and it's not expensive, so I'll have nice cold A/C soon. I took the cap back off. While I do like it, I don't really need to keep the bed dry and it really hinders visibility. So the cap is sitting in the backyard until I decide I want it on again.

Continuing to sort through some minor issues and add some of the final pieces. I've had a minor vibration with my tires since I had them mounted. It occurred from 25-50 mph at first. Then I had them rebalanced and there was no change. So today I took the tires and had them spun on a Hunter Road Force Balancer, and the vibration is better but not gone. Now it only occurs from 25 to about 35 mph. The tire shop that did the balance said that some of the newer all terrain patterns are tough to balance and I'm not the first one with this type of issue. For now I think the vibration is fixed well enough that I can ignore it.

Also I'm still having a pop/clunk noise. The ball joints are all super tight (pass side are new) the tie rods are good, the radius arm bushings and brackets were replaced by the PO right before I bought it as were the spring hangers and shackles. I just had the truck in the frame shop so I know the frame is tight. The noise only happens when cresting a hill and making a 90° turn at the same time, and yet it doesnt make the noise every time. And the noise is very hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. I can't reproduce the noise when the truck is parked. The axle pivot bushings are tight, and I don't have sway bars. Anyway I've been thinking about that clunk too much today and its wearing me out. I gotta get my mind off of it.
Does the truck have a two piece driveshaft that has a splined connection? If so, the connection may need lube. I had a 02 F250 that had a clunk and that was the problem. The splined connection wasn't moving freely and would clunk when it unloaded. It required a specific synthetic grease that I got from the parts department at the local Ford dealer. Cheap easy fix. I hope this helps.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Funny you mention it, my friend has had that trouble with all his service trucks ( 5 ferds ). Either a clunk when transitioning over something and / or a constant vibration at certain highway speeds that he has chased for years. Done tires, driveshaft, ujoints and finally learned to live with it. His son started working as a diesel tech for Ferd last fall. His son had the work truck on the lift for rear brakes and mentioned it to the older tech in the shop. Old fella came out with a syringe and injected the magic poop in to the splines and said it was good to go. After living with the noise for at least 5 years its gone now and he's done it to the rest of the fleet. Its some special synthetic grease made from troll dung but it works

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor