My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Does the truck have a two piece driveshaft that has a splined connection? If so, the connection may need lube. I had a 02 F250 that had a clunk and that was the problem. The splined connection wasn't moving freely and would clunk when it unloaded. It required a specific synthetic grease that I got from the parts department at the local Ford dealer. Cheap easy fix. I hope this helps.

Funny you mention it, my friend has had that trouble with all his service trucks ( 5 ferds ). Either a clunk when transitioning over something and / or a constant vibration at certain highway speeds that he has chased for years. Done tires, driveshaft, ujoints and finally learned to live with it. His son started working as a diesel tech for Ferd last fall. His son had the work truck on the lift for rear brakes and mentioned it to the older tech in the shop. Old fella came out with a syringe and injected the magic poop in to the splines and said it was good to go. After living with the noise for at least 5 years its gone now and he's done it to the rest of the fleet. Its some special synthetic grease made from troll dung but it works

Yes the truck does have a splined two piece driveshaft. I have greased up the splines and reassembled, but I just used regular axle grease. I'll pick up a tube of that motorcraft grease and give it a shot! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yes the truck does have a splined two piece driveshaft. I have greased up the splines and reassembled, but I just used regular axle grease. I'll pick up a tube of that motorcraft grease and give it a shot! Thanks!
If you've already greased it then it may be a long shot. Still, I guess it would still be worth a try and you would have the benefit of having the correct Motorcraft product on the joint. I hope it solves the issue.

Nov 4, 2012
If you've already greased it then it may be a long shot. Still, I guess it would still be worth a try and you would have the benefit of having the correct Motorcraft product on the joint. I hope it solves the issue.

Yeah, you never know. Maybe if that's not the issue the troll dung will be strong enough to fix the problem by osmosis.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Well, you guys may have been on to something. Today I changed out the U Joints in the driveshaft, because after my own inspection I found a bit of play in them. So I changed them out, and the vibration was still there. But while I was under there I greased up the slip joint as well. And while the vibration isnt gone, the clunk was gone for a little while. I drove it over a few corners where it always clunks, and it didn't clunk. Eventually it starting clunking somewhat quietly, I assume after the grease got pushed out. So I'm thinking the source of the clunk and possibly some of the vibration may be from the slip joint. I got back underneath and noticed a small amount of rotational play in the joint, but no up/down or side to side play.

I guess be ordering a slip joint and replacing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
How bad is this slip yoke? Turn your volume up and you can hear it move.

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I am a cheap b*st*rd with stuff like this. Run it and live with the vibration knowing that your are saving money by not repairing it

Nov 4, 2012
I am a cheap b*st*rd with stuff like this. Run it and live with the vibration knowing that your are saving money by not repairing it

I'm can be cheap too but with all the work I have into this damn thing, I really want it to go smoothly down the road. Plus noise and vibrations are a peeve of mine.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Well I replaced both the slip yoke at the support bushing and the one that splines into the transfer case. I bought a pair of used yokes from a driveshaft shop at about half the price of new. I had to grind the retainer clips down a little thinner so they would fit in the groove on the one yoke, but I did get the u joint in. The vibration is much, much better. Probably 80-90% better. So now I've got two new Yokes, a new center support bearing and three new u joints, so the rear driveshafts are practically new. Still have a clunk noise, though. I'll figure it out eventually.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You're making progress. Has the cab been off the frame? Are all the mounts for the cab tight?

Nov 4, 2012
I figured out my clunk noise :banana:. The passenger side fender lip at the very back was coming in contact with the dogleg part of the A pillar. So I shimmed the fender out 1/4" or so and its gone. I'm just glad I figured it out and it wasn't anything major.

Also I replaced the A/C hose that had a hole in it and charged up the system. The compressor is a little noisy, but the A/C is nice and cold now. I also picked up a better blower motor at the junkyard, the one in the truck was pretty weak. Installed the new one and the airflow is much better.

I picked up an auto dimming mirror from the junkyard out of a Bronco to replace the stained flip tab mirror in my truck. I wired it up to find out that it doesnt work. It still looks better than the other mirror so it's staying.

I will get pictures soon.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor