My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I totally understand why you'd want to do this. My only concern would be keeping the thing legit from a paperwork standpoint. Would you need to do a VIN swap and use the diesel donor's title? Or can you simply make yours a diesel and carry on as-is?
Also, I'd be really tempted to go automatic.

Dude, you need a shop.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, the 302 was Ok but 351 was a much better truck engine. Really the EFI 460 was also a good truck engine. I worked as an apprentice. I remember the slave cylinder recall. Plus the oil field nearby, I saw many of those trans lose 1st and reverse. And yes, the 6.4 was horrible. I remember a tech stealing an EGR valve due to demand and couldn't get off a brand new one on the lot. That and the single digit fuel economy is the reason Ford flipped the bird at International and told them to take a hike.

Yeah there is no saving the 6.4L IMO, I think it's the worst one you can buy. At least with the 6.0L it's fairly easy to make bulletproof if you are really set on using it. There's not much saving the 6.4L, of you've got one that's over 120k miles and still running, you need to get rid of it like, yesterday.

I've been wondering if your boss/dealership owner likes to say Yee-Haw & wears a cowboy hat cause that's the first one I think of.

No, my dealer's owner isn't nearly as animated as that goof. You won't hear any radio commercials for my employer. Hell, I don't think they even run ads in the newspaper.

I totally understand why you'd want to do this. My only concern would be keeping the thing legit from a paperwork standpoint. Would you need to do a VIN swap and use the diesel donor's title? Or can you simply make yours a diesel and carry on as-is?
Also, I'd be really tempted to go automatic.

Dude, you need a shop.

You bring up an excellent point. I will be making sure the donor has a good title, which will make things go a lot smoother, but there are two ways to do it, the safe way, or the easy way.

The safe way isn't a huge deal, as long as both vehicles have good titles. I'll fill out form MV-426B and basically explain that I replaced the body on my diesel F-250. They will then send out a police officer or constable to inspect it (they check to make sure parts aren't stolen) and once they pass it, the DMV will issue a special VIN and title for it. The DMV issued vin is just a tag that goes over the existing VIN tag. From there it's free and clear to register it with it's new VIN as a diesel F250.

The easy way is just to swap my cab and bed over and keep going as if nothing has changed. I think (don't quote me) the dmv will allow you to register at a higher weight than the GVWR, it just costs more. I mean it wouldn't be much different than if I just installed 3/4 ton axles on it and installed a 7.3L in it. With this route, the only thing I see becoming an issue is that the fuel type has changed, which is stated on the title. I think you are supposed to get a modified title if you change fuel types, but if I don't sell the truck, I don't see that being an issue.

And believe me, I know I need a shop. I really want a 3-4 bay unattached garage, but t I want it on the same site as the house. There are some extenuating circumstances right now, but a possible move is in the works, so I don't want to start construction on something only to move after it's built. There may be a long explanatory post regarding this sometime soon as well, a bit of my own prison planet experience.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow both used 4 four head bolts per cylinder. For some reason I thought it was just the 6L. Torque to yield bolts on top of that. Wikipedia even says the 6.4 is the worst. One of the guys showed up at work with a nice Ford. I asked which motor, he said 6L, I said nothing. It just boggles my mind Navistar with all their experience in diesel released these turds, especially after the Olds diesel disaster.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Wow both used 4 four head bolts per cylinder. For some reason I thought it was just the 6L. Torque to yield bolts on top of that. Wikipedia even says the 6.4 is the worst. One of the guys showed up at work with a nice Ford. I asked which motor, he said 6L, I said nothing. It just boggles my mind Navistar with all their experience in diesel released these turds, especially after the Olds diesel disaster.

Why they didn't just use common rail on the 6.0 is something I'll never understand. The HEUI injectors were a crap design and Caterpillar figured that out 15 years earlier.

I did a little more investigating on the paperwork and looks like they have a procedure for it, I have to fill out the MV-426B form as well as the MV-41 form. I want to have the paperwork all done and ready to go before I actually start working on it, just in case something goes haywire, which I don't expect it to. Obviously I have to buy a donor vehicle first so that I can get the GVWR and the VIN number off of it. I'll probably go to the DMV before I submit the stuff to just to be sure I have it filled out correctly.

Here is another potential donor- needs a brake line and it's an automatic, but a ZF5 is easy to find and brake lines are easy on a bare frame.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
"Tires half worn"😂
00G0G_ezr4dw10D04_1200x900.jpg

• Haha

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Guess you're right. Sidewalls are probably almost as thick as when they left the factory.

• Haha

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
The 6.0 Navistar had been used in stationary power units with great success before they threw it in a pickup. The emissions equipment is what causes all of the trouble.

Don't confuse this tiny positive outlook on the engine as an excuse for Ford/Navistar releasing this scourge on the general public. It and it's total turd of a replacement (6.4) are total garbage as released. "Bullet proof" is a hillbilly term that actually means "Semi serviceable" as they still have trouble after all the work is done, they just go longer in between having to take the cab off to get the heads off the engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor