My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Well I'm closer than Indiana, actually in Elderton in Armstrong County but we ended up with the Shelocta zip for deliver (with the Elderton P.O. a 1/4 mile from the house) & the house on the county books with the Elderton zip. I should just correct my location but cause lazy...
That West View guy, is he on Perry Hwy by West View Plaza? Cause I remember a guy (I knew from the guy I ran with on North Side) that had a small body shop by the Boro building (not that old one that was across from the Amoco/76/Shell gas station) & can't remember if he did glass.

No his shop is on the other side of Perry Hwy closer towards Martorelli. I do know the shop you are talking about though, I just can't remember if it's still there or not, I'm not usually paying attention when I drive past. I can't find his business online, I'll have to dig out a business card.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
The 73-79 is my favorite. Dad had a two-tone regular cab long bed 84 with two gas tanks (she was thirsty) so that body style has a place in my heart.

The '73-79 is just a plain good looking truck. A friend of mine has this '86 F150 that has been a project of his for a long time.

PhotoPictureResizer_190904_223806530-2137x1202.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_190904_223850321-2137x1202.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I hope the wiring in your truck is better than it was in Dad's 84. It seemed really chintzy in his and he had trouble with burned up connectors under the dash.

• Wow
Nov 4, 2012
I hope the wiring in your truck is better than it was in Dad's 84. It seemed really chintzy in his and he had trouble with burned up connectors under the dash.

Fortunately the 92-96 trucks have completely different (and much better) wiring than the 80-91 trucks.

Ford wiring is weird though. Compared to GM connectors, all Ford connectors look the same.

Nov 4, 2012
Quoted for truth!

It's funny, I used to work mostly on GMs and it was Ford wiring that seemed foreign. Now after going to Ford school and working for Ford, it's GMs that throw me off. Still Fords are way weirder. Especially the pre-OBDII stuff.

Toyota wiring is where its really at though.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's funny, I used to work mostly on GMs and it was Ford wiring that seemed foreign. Now after going to Ford school and working for Ford, it's GMs that throw me off. Still Fords are way weirder. Especially the pre-OBDII stuff.

Well, when all you have to do is ground a switch to turn on a domelight (GM) and you throw 3 wires to an insulated switch (Frod), you are definitely brainfvcking things too much.

• Agree

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
The chassis seems to be largely the same from '80-'96('97 for the non half tons) the last of the OBS powerstroke trucks really tax that chassis for all it's worth. You can hook them up to a decent sized trailer and feel them twist longitudinally. A lot. There is a reason the Super Duty that replaced them is 1000 lbs heavier. I sold my '96 'Stroke last month. It was a good truck but I needed a HVAC system in my new house more.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That's no joke. All this to do what a properly placed screwdriver can do.
original.jpg

And have fun diagnosing some of the older cooling fan circuits that have relays feeding relays. I remember fighting an old Corolla that had 2 switches and I think 4 relays. None of the relays were the same either, so you couldn't swap them for testing. At least the newer stuff is somewhat standardized. Powerprobe is a lifesaver.

Nov 4, 2012
The chassis seems to be largely the same from '80-'96('97 for the non half tons) the last of the OBS powerstroke trucks really tax that chassis for all it's worth. You can hook them up to a decent sized trailer and feel them twist longitudinally. A lot. There is a reason the Super Duty that replaced them is 1000 lbs heavier. I sold my '96 'Stroke last month. It was a good truck but I needed a HVAC system in my new house more.

sh*t I'd have bought your Powerstroke...

Yeah the basic design of the chassis's was all pretty much the same. The wiring, fuel systems and interiors were very different. And you aren't kidding about the frames flexing. The frames on these trucks are about as rigid as a wet noodle. There is still debate today even amongst techs whether the frame flex was intentional or not. The argument for it being intentional is that something flexible is less likely to crack than something that is rigid, and also it helps with the suspension ride quality to some degree.

I think it was more likely the unintentional result of an outdated design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor