My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, the 4L60E is junk especially towing and the aluminum front diff is weak, no posi or locker available. Still my 94 Z71 would push snow over the front bumper with just a Gov bomb in the 8.6 rear. I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota. I did the 3.9 to 5.9 swap. I went through the injector wiring three times and tried two different computers, still no #7 and #8 injector firing. So I piggy backed off the two injectors in the firing order, works sort of OK. Shakes in gear in reverse and bucks at low speeds. I had a head crack badly so I put on the Ram EQ heads. I should have glued the head gaskets in place, moved around, damaged a bit when putting iron heads on in the truck. Now a head gasket is leaking a few years later. Also no locker for the Dodge 205mm front diff, decently strong and even in 1/2 tons but no locker or posi, open is the only option. It has a 8.25" with a Track Lock. It is to heavy to float on top of snow and not heavy enough to dig down in the snow. When I do the head gaskets I am going to probe the harness to see if I somehow put the injector wires in the wrong spot. With the better first gear in the 42RE and 3.91 gears, this truck should haul *ss, like low 15's, not terrible as is , just not as good as it should be for power.

I have the big front diff to swap into my 1500. That'll be the end of the weak shjt for that truck. It has the 9.5" rear too along with hydroboost. The vacuum brakes sucked *ss.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have the big front diff to swap into my 1500. That'll be the end of the weak shjt for that truck. It has the 9.5" rear too along with hydroboost. The vacuum brakes sucked *ss.
I saw a 95 1500 for sale with the heavy duty axle swap. If they would have done the 4L80E swap, I would probably own it. Yeah, the stock 5.3 LS, pre Gen 5 motors stock are gutless turds down low, just pathetic.

Nov 4, 2012
Friend had one with an oddball 5 speed with a short 5th. That truck worked pretty well.

The 5.0L is a dog. I've discussed it in this thread before. Ford guys know it too. Everyone wants the 5.8L or the 7.5L. Even the 4.9L has more usable torque than the 5.0L. I discussed doing a body swap onto an F250 chassis as well as 4BT swaps or 351/ZF5 swaps. The 351/ZF5 swap is straightforward but I don't think it's worth it with this truck. I'd rather buy an actual 3/4 ton for hauling. This truck is very drivable as is, but it's not a great puller.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The 5.0L is a dog. I've discussed it in this thread before. Ford guys know it too. Everyone wants the 5.8L or the 7.5L. Even the 4.9L has more usable torque than the 5.0L. I discussed doing a body swap onto an F250 chassis as well as 4BT swaps or 351/ZF5 swaps. The 351/ZF5 swap is straightforward but I don't think it's worth it with this truck. I'd rather buy an actual 3/4 ton for hauling. This truck is very drivable as is, but it's not a great puller.

I just don't get it. GM handed out 350s like hotcakes, but find a 351 in an F150 and you've got yourself a unicorn.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I saw a 95 1500 for sale with the heavy duty axle swap. If they would have done the 4L80E swap, I would probably own it. Yeah, the stock 5.3 LS, pre Gen 5 motors stock are gutless turds down low, just pathetic.
You realize that genV 5.3 are basically direct injected LS engines right?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You realize that genV 5.3 are basically direct injected LS engines right?
Sort of yes. Either way they feel like a lot more than 30 hp difference, night and day, maybe the 8 spd too. Pretty sad my 8.5 to 1 Olds 350 with stock 307 5 heads, 204/214 cam, shorty headers, 2.25" dual exhaust and a sbc 350 swirl port tune could out run a 5.3 with the same trans and gearing, idle to 4000 rpm. With a 454 TBI, not even close down low and similar up top.

Nov 4, 2012
Been doing some more searching around and looking at different truck forum archives trying to read through the bullsh*t and see what issues people have had with which trucks.

The conclusion I've come to is, if I'm going to go diesel my choices are either the 99-03 7.3L Powerstroke trucks or a 2003-2007 Ram with the 5.9L Common Rail Cummins. From everything I've read both engines are equally as reliable, but the Ford is a better body and chassis. Still my decision would be made on availability and condition/maintenance over brand. I wouldn't mind getting away from Fords for a change and I've never owned a mopar. Hell, the last mopar in my family on either side was a 1958 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door that my grandpap had. According to my Dad it was a total heap. Maybe Chrysler has changed since 1958?

Also I've been keeping an eye on fuel prices, and if you go to Costco or Sam's Club (I have memberships to both), diesel is substantially cheaper than anywhere else. Today diesel was $2.85 at Sam's, vs $3.19 at Sheetz which was the bext cheapest place. For comparison, regular 87 octane is $2.62 at Sam's vs $2.71 at the next cheapest place, also Sheetz. Also Sam's and Costco both sell a lot of fuel so their diesel is probably always fresh.

Obviously diesel maintenance costs are higher, those 15 quart oil changes aren't cheap, but Cummins says you can go 15,000 miles between oil changes and International says the PSD can go 10,000 miles between changes. Ford says 5,000 miles. I'm guessing the descrepency is due to the Ford specific oil pan which is lower capacity than the one used in buses and such. I'd still go 5 or 6k miles, I'd never go 10 or 15k.

Anyways that's where my search stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor