My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, the Cummins were great motors, the rest, not so much, at least early on. Dodge maybe had the rest up to snuff by 03. I have seen a sheared off transfer case on an older model. Also heard the trans and rears blew up as well, again the older models. Not sure why the RE series trans were so flakey, old Torque Flights were bullet proof. Those 7.3 Superduty were great trucks all around.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, the Cummins were great motors, the rest, not so much, at least early on. Dodge maybe had the rest up to snuff by 03. I have seen a sheared off transfer case on an older model. Also heard the trans and rears blew up as well, again the older models. Not sure why the RE series trans were so flakey, old Torque Flights were bullet proof. Those 7.3 Superduty were great trucks all around.

Yeah I think Dodge fixed the dash cracking issues by late 2004-05. I've read the RE transmissions are adequate if they aren't abused and the motors are kept stock but they have little tolerance for being thrashed on. So I guess keep an eye out for grandpa trucks.

I'm really just into the Dodges for those tow mirrors though-

give-them-back-nope-dodge-tow-mirrors-meme-48912069.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You are a mechanical dude

Get a clean GMT400 (97ish) 454 2500 and a 6BT cummins. Swap cummins in 2500. Decent GMT400 clean chassis seem to be available all over for reasonable prices. 5.9 cummins swap and your good to go!

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
The Cummins has 40% fewer moving parts than the 'Stroke. Overall the ferd is the better truck but only because they didn't produce any of the drivetrain as long as you get a manual trans. Mopar automatic transmissions suck. My dad's '98 24 valve Cummins has 230k on it, never been tuned or modified, on its 4th trans. That's around 60k/trans rebuild for the non-math types which is totally shyttacular by any standard of measure.

Nov 4, 2012
You are a mechanical dude

Get a clean GMT400 (97ish) 454 2500 and a 6BT cummins. Swap cummins in 2500. Decent GMT400 clean chassis seem to be available all over for reasonable prices. 5.9 cummins swap and your good to go!

Maybe someday but right now I dont need any more projects, I just need a reliable work truck.

The Cummins has 40% fewer moving parts than the 'Stroke. Overall the ferd is the better truck but only because they didn't produce any of the drivetrain as long as you get a manual trans. Mopar automatic transmissions suck. My dad's '98 24 valve Cummins has 230k on it, never been tuned or modified, on its 4th trans. That's around 60k/trans rebuild for the non-math types which is totally shyttacular by any standard of measure.

That's pretty atrocious. Was there any changes to the transmissions between 98 and 2003? How do the manual transmission Dodges fare?

I think I'd like an automatic for this truck just for the sake of convenience but I wouldn't totally rule out another stick truck.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The Cummins is a great engine that is unfortunately wrapped up in a crappy truck. The 7.3 is also a great engine wrapped up in a less crappy truck. If I could build A la cart, it'd be a 12 valve + Allison in an early Super Duty. That'd be a pretty much bulletproof combo.
No one has to explain to you that the diesel maintenance and repair component is exponentially more than sticking with gas. Everything diesel related is heavy and expensive. You'd need to drive a lot of miles for the fuel savings to offset. But I get wanting something just because you want it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Maybe someday but right now I dont need any more projects, I just need a reliable work truck.

That's pretty atrocious. Was there any changes to the transmissions between 98 and 2003? How do the manual transmission Dodges fare?

I think I'd like an automatic for this truck just for the sake of convenience but I wouldn't totally rule out another stick truck.
Similar issues with all of the different generations of Mopar automatics. All pretty much junk. The 5 speeds had an issue with a nut inside the trans that would back off. Something about towing in 5th gear makes it more prone to failure or so i hear. I haven't heard of any consistent problems in the 6 speed. Like Driven says, great engine buried in a pos truck.

Nov 4, 2012
As in the least water to fuel ratio....? I didn't know diesel had a shelf life.

Diesel is hygroscopic so it will absorb moisture. I'd rather buy from a high volume station that is constantly running fresh fuel through their tanks than a corner station where the diesel may have been sitting in there for who knows how long.

No one has to explain to you that the diesel maintenance and repair component is exponentially more than sticking with gas. Everything diesel related is heavy and expensive. You'd need to drive a lot of miles for the fuel savings to offset. But I get wanting something just because you want it.

Agree 100%. There is absolutely a want factor driving my desire for a diesel, but I do have some near future plans that could be used as a more logical justification than "rOal cOaL i WaNt iT".

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Redneck ricer? Please don't.

Does this check all your boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor