My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Well thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate everyone following my progress. I'm really looking forward to putting some miles on it once the weather warms up. I'm going to try and drive it as much as possible as long as there isn't any salt on the ground.

Nov 4, 2012
Wanted to do a quick update. I spent all day yesterday sorting out vacuum leaks. Traced back to cracked lines which I replaced with a junkyard vacuum harness and also found a failing EGR vacuum selenoid, which I will source from RockAuto. Decided I'm gonna buck up and spend the money on a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s in the 31-10.5-15 size. I just can't find any other tire that I like that is less expensive. Oh, I slapped a driver's mirror back on it b cause snow was getting into the mounting hole. I'm still gonna replace the side mirrors with some repop ones as the ones that are on it are pretty beat. I did take it out for a couple drives, only to the convenience store and back, probably put about 30 miles on it. I just couldn't help myself. I hosed it off right after every trip, so hopefully not too much salt got on it. Now it's back in the driveway and hopefully it warms up soon so I can get back on the road with it.

IMG_20180123_111903223-2672x2004.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Wanted to do a quick update. I spent all day yesterday sorting out vacuum leaks. Traced back to cracked lines which I replaced with a junkyard vacuum harness and also found a failing EGR vacuum selenoid, which I will source from RockAuto. Decided I'm gonna buck up and spend the money on a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s in the 31-10.5-15 size. I just can't find any other tire that I like that is less expensive. Oh, I slapped a driver's mirror back on it b cause snow was getting into the mounting hole. I'm still gonna replace the side mirrors with some repop ones as the ones that are on it are pretty beat. I did take it out for a couple drives, only to the convenience store and back, probably put about 30 miles on it. I just couldn't help myself. I hosed it off right after every trip, so hopefully not too much salt got on it. Now it's back in the driveway and hopefully it warms up soon so I can get back on the road with it.

View attachment 81208
The General Grabber at2 is cheaper and it's the same tread pattern as The BFG all-terrain radial

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

View attachment 81208
The truck looks great!

I swear by the BFG A/T T/A KO2's. We run them commercially here at work on most of our survey trucks. There are a few guys that like the Mud Terrain's on their truck but otherwise, they all have the KO2's. We get excellent service out of them.

Nov 4, 2012
The General Grabber at2 is cheaper and it's the same tread pattern as The BFG all-terrain radial

They are similar but not the same, the KO2 has better sidewall puncture resistance. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The truck looks great!

I swear by the BFG A/T T/A KO2's. We run them commercially here at work on most of our survey trucks. There are a few guys that like the Mud Terrain's on their truck but otherwise, they all have the KO2's. We get excellent service out of them.

Thanks! I had the KOs on my Suburban and I liked them, they were quiet but very capable off road, and I found the sidewall puncture resistance to be very impressive. My understanding is the KO2 is just a bit of an improvement over the KO. I like the Mud Terrains but they are just too aggressive for the type of driving I'm gonna be doing.

I've been running Mastercraft Courser AXTs, and love them. Most recently, they were $728 for 10 ply, E range 265/75-16s...

I hadn't looked into any MasterCrafts, but I've kinda got my heart set on the BFGs now. I'll talk to my tire guy and see what if he can get them and what he charges for them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The KO2 has a more aggressive looking sidewall. That's the only difference I see.

Nov 4, 2012
Well quick update. I ordered new side view mirrors for the truck and got them installed. I also got the drivers door guts reinstalled as well as the drivers door panel. I replaced the EGR Valve and the EGR valve solenoid, so no more vacuum leaks.

I also tore into the job of replacing the timing cover gasket. I only snapped one bolt and it came out clean from the block. The timing cover cracked when I removed it, so I replaced it. I replaced the water pump and the thermostat too. I started it up yesterday and let it run in the driveway for 45 minutes or so. I don't want to do any premature celebrating, but I don't believe its leaking anymore. I was going to replace the timing set, but I was in a bit of a hurry to finish this job because of the cold weather and nobody had the right one in stock and I didn't want to wait for one to come in. It's not like I'm revving the snot out of this truck.

Now I've got an issue with the battery again. I had the alternator rebuilt back in December, and the battery was new in December as well, and it worked fine for a while, but now the battery light is coming on again, and the battery has been totally dead every morning when I try to start it. The battery light comes mostly stays on, but every once in a while it will start to flicker on and off. The battery read 12.2 V while running, so it's not charging. The only thing I can think of is a fuse or wiring.

IMG_20180211_182259320-2672x2004.jpg
IMG_20180212_171146299-2004x2672.jpg
IMG_20180209_193406628-2004x2672.jpg
IMG_20180209_193419080-2004x2672.jpg
IMG_20180209_193510273-2672x2004.jpg
IMG_20180209_193522502-2672x2004.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I really enjoy this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Now I've got an issue with the battery again. I had the alternator rebuilt back in December, and the battery was new in December as well, and it worked fine for a while, but now the battery light is coming on again, and the battery has been totally dead every morning when I try to start it. The battery light comes mostly stays on, but every once in a while it will start to flicker on and off. The battery read 12.2 V while running, so it's not charging. The only thing I can think of is a fuse or wiring.

If you unplug your multi-wire connector from the alternator and leave it overnight, if the battery suddenly starts not being dead it is probably your alternator again. Also, if your lights are rhythmically flickering or surging at idle then your alternator may be partially working but not enough to get ahead of your trucks electrical demands.

Ford 3G alternators are a big step up over what they replaced, but not without their own problems. Also, IIRC you can get an even more powerful alternator than the F-150 would have came with out of a Taurus. It should be direct swap but it has been too long to remember.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor