My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
The transmission shop called today and told me they had it all fixed up. Turned out a pin in the top cover fell out. Luckily it landed on the magnet and didn't land on a gear. The transmission mechanic told me the synchros and forks looked fine, and that the pin being loose may have been causing that harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shift. They reinstalled the pin and tack welded it in place so it doesn't fall out again.

I'm gonna place an order on RockAuto for a new clutch kit and hydraulic throwout bearing, and the rear trans mount came out in pieces so I'll get one of those too. Also the u joints for the front driveshaft are toast so I'm gonna replace those as well.

Anyways I won't be swapping to a ZF5 for now, just gonna put this M5OD back in and keep it rolling down the road.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad it was nothing major. I had about the same repair that I did for a good friend of mine. she would intermittently lose 1-2, and mutual friends not really knowing manual transmissions, other than changing clutches, left it up to me to repair... turned out to be a roll pin, like yours, but on the fork itself...

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
All the parts came in the mail today from RockAuto. Got a LuK clutch kit and hydraulic throw out bearing, new Moog u joints and u joints bolts for the front driveshaft, bought a transmission mount, and bought a Timken pilot bearing just in case the LuK one turned out to be chintzy (it seems okay but I'm still gonna use the Timken one). Had the flywheel cut this morning at the machine shop. It's gonna rain tonight and tomorrow so I may not get to putting it together until Friday or Saturday, but I've got everything and I'll be ready to go.

Thanks to all who replied to my flywheel thread.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The transmission shop called today and told me they had it all fixed up. Turned out a pin in the top cover fell out. Luckily it landed on the magnet and didn't land on a gear. The transmission mechanic told me the synchros and forks looked fine, and that the pin being loose may have been causing that harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shift. They reinstalled the pin and tack welded it in place so it doesn't fall out again.

I'm gonna place an order on RockAuto for a new clutch kit and hydraulic throwout bearing, and the rear trans mount came out in pieces so I'll get one of those too. Also the u joints for the front driveshaft are toast so I'm gonna replace those as well.

Anyways I won't be swapping to a ZF5 for now, just gonna put this M5OD back in and keep it rolling down the road.

that is a rare transmission shop who was honest about what the problem was and didn't try to sell you parts you don't need.....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
that is a rare transmission shop who was honest about what the problem was and didn't try to sell you parts you don't need.....:)

They are a really good shop, small, just a guy and his two sons, you wouldn't even notice the place if you just drove past. They've fixed a number of things for me and they've always been great to deal with. They use top quality parts too.

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
Well I got a good bit of work done today, I didn't think the weather would cooperate but the rain held off. I got the flywheel bolted up, the new clutch disc and pressure plate on, replaced the pilot bearing, and installed the new hydraulic throw out bearing.

I had a little extra time after dinner and decided, what the hell, I'll go and get the trans bolted up to the engine. It ended up being a bear.

The bottom of the transmission is rounded, so it kept wanting to roll off the jack. When I finally got it up into place, the driver's side of the bellhousing mated up to the engine, but the passenger side was out about 1/2 of an inch. I could feel that the transmission was splined to the clutch because the output shaft wouldn't spin.

So I ended up starting a bellhousing bolt on the driver's side, and tightening it until I could get the next bolt in, and had to put them in one at a time until I got all 6 bolts in. I don't know what I was hung up on, I'm guessing the alignment dowel, I don't think it was the pilot bushing. Anyways I've got the transmission bolted back up.

With any luck I'll get the rest of it back together tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2012
Well I didn't get as much done today as I'd have liked to. I got the transmission crossmember sitting in place and the new transmission mount attached. There are six bolt total that hold the crossmember to the frame rails, three on each side. I've got all but one in, the holes for one of the bolts on the passenger side just won't line up, which was just pissing me off.

So that's where I stopped today. I woke up with a nasty cold, sore throat and sinus congestion, and I'm sore as hell from wrestling with the transmission itself yesterday, and the temps dropped into the low 50s today, down from the high 60s yesterday.

So being sick, sore, cold and irritated, I decided to wrap up early.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hope you feel better soon. You saved that truck. Glad you enjoyed it all summer and glad the issue with the transmission was minor. Get some rest, get healthy and then hit it hard. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it a bit more before they start putting down the salt.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks man. I should be able to get a little more use out of it before I tuck it away for the winter. It was 80 degrees out last week, now we're in the forties. I swear one day I'm gonna move somewhere warm.

But despite being sick and the weather being cold, I couldn't stand to sit still today, so I went out and worked on it a little bit at a time. First I opened up that last hole on the crossmember with a drill until it was big enough that I could get the bolt through. Then I hooked up the starter and went back inside and rested. Then came out an hour or so later and reinstalled the transfer case and both the driveshafts, then plugged in the electrical connectors and hooked up the line for the clutch. Now I've just got to hook up the shifter and the transfer case lever, top off the fluid in the transmission and transfer case, and then bleed the clutch.

Anyways the hard part is done.

Nov 4, 2012
I got pretty much all of it finished today. I reattached both of the shifters, and I filled up the transmission and transfer case with ATF (yeah they take ATF, weird I know). Then I got my dad to give me a hand bleeding the clutch.

Then started it up and let the clutch out, and it moves! I only went back and forth in the driveway a couple times to make sure things were working, but everything seems to be in order. I've got to bleed the clutch just a little more, the grab point feels a little too close to the floor, but that is no big deal. I also have to go back and zip tie a couple wires up and I also want to double check and make sure all the bolts are tight.

IMG_20181014_182134856-1200x900.jpg
IMG_20181014_182224100-1200x900.jpg
IMG_20181014_182244242-1200x900.jpg
IMG_20181014_182151125-1200x900.jpg
IMG_20181010_122513293-2672x2004.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor