My Ford Truck Project (And Other Projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
A washer and longer screw painted grey is an option. I imagine like G bodies, common wear interior parts are hard to find.

It would need to be a pretty long screw. I don't think this is actually a piece that commonly breaks. I think it got kicked or stepped on or something. I've seen them in the junkyards, but they are always either the wrong color, or for power seats. I could paint one, but considering glue wouldn't stick to this plastic I kinda doubt that paint would. These trucks are usually plentiful in the junkyards, I think it's odd that I can't seem to find one.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Hoping to hit a local yard this weekend, I’ll keep an eye out if I can get there.

Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
struck out at the local yard.... it was worth a try.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
struck out at the local yard.... it was worth a try.

I sure appreciate you looking. I got it kinda glued back together-ish. It's not falling off, for now anyways.

I bought a pair of black 3' Firestik FS antennas and the springs and stake pocket mounts. Dual antennas are happening :mrgreen:

Turbo Zach is gonna hook me up with a Cobra 25 NW, so once I receive it I'll have to figure out a mounting location. I'm thinking underneath or in the ashtray area, but that's subject to change.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Dude, this is redneck street cred squared. You, sir, are a credit to your generation.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Probably needs one of these too.
sww-82176_ml.jpg

And a fun rack. Err...gun rack.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Dude, this is redneck street cred squared. You, sir, are a credit to your generation.

"Redneck style without the redneck engineering!"

I like the stake pocket mounts because there is no drilling required and the dash already has holes drilled in it, so nothing lost there.

The gun rack is actually something I've thought about, the thing that keeps me from installing one is I'd never use it anywhere except when going to the range. Anywhere else, it's an open invitation to steal whatever is on it. I'm usually sufficiently armed anyways ;)

I do like these gauge pods-
gauges01.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It's more about the lifestyle statement. They hold bats and fishing poles too.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Boy what a day it's been with this thing. I have some vacation days to use up so I took off today and the rest of the week. A friend ended up hooking me up with a peaked and tuned Cobra 25 Classic he had that is nearly new. I bought the coax yesterday from a CB shop and the antennas and mounts came in the mail today.

Mounting and wiring the radio were the easy parts. Running the coax was a task. I knew from the beginning I'd have to remove all the seats to lift up the carpet so that the coax could run underneath.

I mounted the radio and mic hook first, snaked the wires behind the dash to the fuse box and tapped into the radio with an add-a-circuit. Easy.

IMG_20190514_141336723-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20190514_141123674-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20190515_191402664-2137x1603.jpg

So to run the coax, I took up the seats and under the carpet on the driver's side, I found a small amount of water and the padding under the carpet was damp. So I had to handle that first. I believe I found the source, a hole left from a zip screw on the bottom of the A pillar by the parking break. I put a screw in it with some strip caulk on it and its dried up. I used a heat gun on low to dry up the padding on the carpet. There was some very orange rust in a few small spots but it was pretty fresh and mostly wiped off. Ill continue to check on it to see if any leaks return.

With that handled, I lifted the rest of the carpet and plugged the cable into the back of the radio. I zipped tied the two cables (two cables for two antennas) together until they got to the back of the cab, then ran them through separate body plugs to the outside, one on the driver's side, one on the passenger. Once underneath the cab, zip tied them together and ran them up to channel along the back of the bed and into the stake pockets, using zip ties and clips and grommets the whole way to keep things neat.

IMG_20190515_183727399_HDR-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20190515_183655852-1603x2137.jpg

Now I had to mount the antennas. I went to attach the stake pocket mounts, and they were a b*tch. After fiddling with the one for about 5 minutes, I looked at the instruction sheet that was in the package. It had a disclaimer on it that basically said "these probably won't fit great! Good luck." So with that awesome news, I continued and eventually got them in, and yeah the fit isn't great. My stake pockets were not in great shape to begin with. This replacement bed had a ladder rack on it at some point that smashed in the pockets. When I did the body and paint, I did straighten them with a hammer and dolly and put a couple welds on them, but I didn't go nuts since I was going to be putting the rail caps on anyways.

Anyways there are 4 screws that tighten to clamp them to the stake holes, and the screws strippef and cross threaded very easily. I got 3/4 tight on one side and 4/4 tight on the other side. Then got the springs and antennas threaded on, but they looked a little crooked. So I fiddled with them a bit to get them straighter and eventually called it good 'nuff.

Then after all that, I had to replace the carpet, all the trim, the seats, etc. Did all that and then vacuumed it out and put the tools away, and called it a day. I still want to go back and put some wire loom on a couple spots, and zip tie a few things and possibly get tweak those pocket mounts a bit. I still have to tune the antennas with an SWR meter to get it fully functional.

It ended up taking pretty much all day with some breaks here and there, but I'm thrilled with how it came out. The radio looks gorgeous under the dash and the dual whips look badass. Feel free to start calling me the Rubber Duck :mrgreen:

IMG_20190515_183343898-2137x1603.jpg

IMG_20190515_183332400-2137x1603.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor