My Grandfather and Uncle would (finally) be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
First time this has happened in nearly 20 years. There haven't been two cars side by side in my garage since before I got my '73 Catalina more than 15 years ago. Even more impressive is that before then, I didn't have three transmissions and two engines on the side, and there was only one work bench back then.

Next step is to clear off the benches, and set up the propane heater so I can start on some winter projects.

The car on the right is my Uncle's old '83 Buick Regal, and it fought me every step of the way getting in there yesterday. Engine is leaking oil internally very badly, and is causing a huge amount of burnt oil smoke from the exhaust. If it were summer, I probably would have killed nearly every mosquito in a one mile radius, and I'm surprised none of my neighbors complained. At this point I don't know what I'm going to do with it. When he died, it was in his name and I have no idea what the legal procedure is to get it freed up. His daughter doesn't want it, and we're on good terms so I think all I need is a written statement from her. Anybody here have any clue?

Car on the left is obviously my '80 Buick Century, and the starter is totally buggered at this point. The shift lever needs to be removed and either modified or replaced totally, and then the starter can either be replaced or repaired. No matter what I do, it keeps having an issue where the shift lever doesn't put the transmission all the way into the park position fully, and even if I slam it home and hold it there, sometimes it still catches. Thank God that it only seems like the starter has taken all of the punishment, because the engine sounds fine when it's running and the transmission shifts flawlessly for now. But I'm going to have to really think about what I'm going to do now. If I want to keep the column shift, then I need to get a TH200R4 linkage, otherwise I may be forced to go with a floor shift, which is what I didn't want to do. The only other way is to try modifying the current linkage further at risk of damaging it beyond use... but it can't be any worse than it is now.

In the mean time though, while it's in there this winter, I can try to install new door and window seals, rear hatch seals, and weatherstripping. After that, I can start thinking about interior work. Maybe (carefully) remove the ceiling and install sound deadner and insulation on the roof as well as the floor, and doors.

Attachments

• 46347687_204327413817141_405660094898896896_n.jpg
    46347687_204327413817141_405660094898896896_n.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 179
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
You may also notice that despite the Regal being up on rollers at all four corners, it's only maybe half an inch taller than the Century. The suspension is totally and completely collapsed. Needs springs and shocks at all four corners as well as a new driver's fender. It needs a lot of work just to get it to operational condition. Not to mention the very developed patina it has on the roof and trunk lid. Surprisingly though, aside from the fender, patina, and messed up front bumper, the body is pretty solid. The only reason the fender and bumper are messed up is because it got smashed up by some bozo in a speeding Jeep about a year and a half ago. Hooked the front bumper on the passenger side with his driver rear quarter panel, and ripped it right off, causing the bumper to smash into the driver's fender and absolutely obliterated the header panel.

It's got another Regal header panel on there now, it just needs some minor adjustments and some new headlight buckets on the passenger side. I've still got the buckets from the driver's side that was on there originally, so hopefully they're not side specific, or can be flipped around and used.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor