My LSx engine swap Carbed 5.3 CHEAP/EASY

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
To avoid any cluttering in the other threads I've made it simple... I made several videos on Youtube showing how easy it is to swap in an LS motor.. I will be brief.. My swap WAS CHEAP.. I have $1400 total invested... The most expensive parts were the intake and the MSD-6010.. The only adapters you need are the engine to clamshell adapter plates and the Hughes flexplate to torque converter bushing. The rest is self explanatory. I did NOT need to mess with my power steering pump pulley and my transmission IS in its stock location. No driveshaft mods needed.. I used 1 inch set back motor plates for that reason.

Yes. I am running a Quadrajet on my 5.3 Btw... my motor is mainly stock, it has an early .500 .500 LS1 cam and that's it... I ran a 14.18 @ 98 last fall and it turns out I was running on the front barrels of the carb the throttle cable was adjusted wrong and I didn't get a chance to run again by the time I found out..

1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme
2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3, LS1 cam, 750 Q-jet, MSD 6010
Buick GN BQ-code Th2004r
Buick GN 8.5 rear w/ Richmond 3.73

Watch my videos... I explain HOW I installed it, how to wire the MSD 6010 and how I run a Q-jet..
Watch in HD where applicable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLaRLiqmDW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T7iQgxHRs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQ3rQXco4k

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
First time I have seen a Qjet on a LS motor. The big downside with a LS converted to carburetor is that it is illegal since it disables the factory OBD2 low emission system of the LS. How much of a problem this is depends where you live and how strict emissions enforcement are there. But the federal law is when you install a newer engine into a older car, that car must now meet the standards of the year of the engine, which includes having all of the engine's low emission hardware installed and working.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
Clone TIE Pilot said:
First time I have seen a Qjet on a LS motor. The big downside with a LS converted to carburetor is that it is illegal since it disables the factory OBD2 low emission system of the LS. How much of a problem this is depends where you live and how strict emissions enforcement are there. But the federal law is when you install a newer engine into a older car, that car must now meet the standards of the year of the engine, which includes having all of the engine's low emission hardware installed and working.

I live in Ohio and my car is an 83' I haven't had to have it emission inspected since 2007.. Even with no converters and a Q-jet I bet it would still pass the sniffer with flying colors because they don't give 2 sh*ts what's under the hood here as long as it meets the numbers of the original engine.. Ohio is very lenient on smog laws to be honest..

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Hey Beeter,

I use to read your posts in the past on another forum when you had a different power plant under that hood - haha! Anywho, that's one clean looking LS install. I wish that you could help me do the same thing for $1400 quid - ha. :D

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
foxtrot said:
Hey Beeter,

I use to read your posts in the past on another forum when you had a different power plant under that hood - haha! Anywho, that's one clean looking LS install. I wish that you could help me do the same thing for $1400 quid - ha. :D

Oldspower Im sure.. Its not bad, the swap is alright not butchered but it could be cleaner.. hell the car itself is kinda grouty but that's ok I like the sleeper beater theme hence my name :D

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
You know, My opinion is that, when it comes to swaps, the laws should go by meeting the spirit/intent of clean air, not nitpicking the letter of what parts were on the car, what motor, etc.

If I can get, say, an early 70s big block installed in my 80s vehicle, that actually gets reasonable fuel economy and runs as clean or cleaner throughout its entire operating range than the original motor, or can meet emissions requirements without any sort of cheating, then it should be allowed.

Heck, I was proud of the 1972 Skylark I had with 2-bbl 350 that ran clean enough to pass for a new car back in the late 90s when I had it. Something like 0.07% CO and 15ppm HC. The maximum allowed (for 1981 and up was the standard then) was 1.20% CO and 100ppm HC (or maybe it was 1.00% CO and 120ppm HC, I forget - in any case, I was WAY below the threshold) That was with single exhaust, no catalyst, running points ignition, etc. Probably would've run even cleaner with HEI.

That engine would've been just fine in a newer car, and I would've been willing to put on catalytic converters, and even EGR, if I were to have swapped that motor into, say, a mid 80s G-body.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
King_V said:
You know, My opinion is that, when it comes to swaps, the laws should go by meeting the spirit/intent of clean air, not nitpicking the letter of what parts were on the car, what motor, etc.

If I can get, say, an early 70s big block installed in my 80s vehicle, that actually gets reasonable fuel economy and runs as clean or cleaner throughout its entire operating range than the original motor, or can meet emissions requirements without any sort of cheating, then it should be allowed.

Heck, I was proud of the 1972 Skylark I had with 2-bbl 350 that ran clean enough to pass for a new car back in the late 90s when I had it. Something like 0.07% CO and 15ppm HC. The maximum allowed (for 1981 and up was the standard then) was 1.20% CO and 100ppm HC (or maybe it was 1.00% CO and 120ppm HC, I forget - in any case, I was WAY below the threshold) That was with single exhaust, no catalyst, running points ignition, etc. Probably would've run even cleaner with HEI.

That engine would've been just fine in a newer car, and I would've been willing to put on catalytic converters, and even EGR, if I were to have swapped that motor into, say, a mid 80s G-body.

I agree that is how it should be, but it isn't. The engine must be clean burning and have all low emission hardware installed. One of the reasons for this are gasoline vapors. In the old days gas tanks were just open vented which released alot of HC flumes into the air creating smog even when the car is parked, engine off. It is why cars since the 70s have a EVAP system for closed venting of the gas tank to collect and burn the vapors. This is why E-Rod crate engines come with a LS OBD2 EVAP kit. The EVAP system is all too often removed even through it doesn't effect power. The other thing is the PCV system which close vents the crankcase flumes back to the intake and was invented during WW2 for tank engines to cut down on crankcase gunk build up. Often removed for breathers instead. I can see some sort of mini filter for open venting, making the install alot dirter than you think. To be just as clean as stock you need all closed system venting.

I live in NJ and my car will alays need to pass emission inspection (no age cutoff) and sometimes they pop hoods on older cars. They also have cameras in the floor to check for cats while the inspector drives the car. CA has it even worse than NJ. In CA you even need proper paperwork for any legal swap or it would still be failed, no matter how clean it burns since they won't test it without papers. I think about 1/3 of the states still inspects cars of 80s vintage for emissions.

I

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
Beeterolds,

You do nice work! I've seen your other work on YouTube. Do you have a parts list and how to on YouTube? Or give me a helping hand I'm tired
of the good olds 307. Its pretty tired leaks oil from everywhere :shock: who needs a oil change I just keep adding oil. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor