My MCSS Project Seems So Boring When.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I read about your cars.
-engine swaps
-big blocks
-bigger big blocks
-fat tires
-fatter tires
-trans swaps
-chassis and bodywork
-suspension upgrades
-interior upgrades
-lots'a big bux stuff....

My project seems rather unexiciting and probably won't be noticeable once I'm done.
-restuff seats
-seal up waterleaks in the cowl area
-correct surface rust around some fasteners
-paint black sheet metal around the front
-replace body mounts
-replace hinges and repair door striker
-and a good cleaning once April/May comes around
P1100829.JPG
P1100771.JPG

Definately a low buck project - parts and my labor.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
It's only exciting when is done or nearly done otherwise anything before that is swearing, busting your knuckles, getting grease or rust pieces in your eyes or mouth or both and telling yourself you're selling your car when things don't go right only to pull out your card buy more stuff and getting excited ago over and over again.

Your build will be exciting because it will motivatate others to get going on their own projects or do new stuff on their finished or should I say never finished projects.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
It's only exciting when is done or nearly done otherwise anything before that is swearing, busting your knuckles, getting grease or rust pieces in your eyes or mouth or both and telling yourself you're selling your car when things don't go right only to pull out your card buy more stuff and getting excited ago over and over again.

Your build will be exciting because it will motivatate others to get going on their own projects or do new stuff on their finished or should I say never finished projects.

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

I've threatened to get rid of every vehicle I own at one point or another during the middle of a difficult project/repair. My truck is the vehicle that makes my blood pressure rise the most often. I have been ready to sell it more than once and even floated the idea of burning that damn thing a time or two. Lol.

You may not think refreshing your SS is that exciting at times but I would LOVE to have a car that clean, complete and original to work with. Your car is a time capsule. It's hard to find G Bodies that nice around here. When finished your SS will look as good, if not better than brand new. Plus you probably won't have to spend a fortune to get it that way. I know there are a few guys on here, including me who like seeing updates on projects like yours. Keep up the good work.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm posting this to be informative, not alarming, but...

In that picture it looks like the frame/car is being held up under the front control arms then somewhere in the rear?

These frames were always known for flex, it's not uncommon to need to have a car that's on 4 tires on the ground without a front clip needing to have the frame jacked up under the firewall, letting the front arc back downwards for the body gaps fender to door to line up when putting it back.

Factory manual recommends jacking the g-body coupes on the frame at the points inside the tires towards the passenger cabin.

If it's going to sit a while like that might consider re-supporting further back on the reinforced frame pad by the firewall.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Re: supporting the frame. I'll do as suggested - this was done just to gain easy access to fasteners, the #2 mount bolts need some penetrating oil and then loosening a bit before the frame can be supported at that area.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think it's a great project. You have a nice car.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Your car looks more exciting than mine. And more complete. I've been messing with mine for the past 26 years, taken off the road twice, plans changed in the middle of work, put on hold for 2 "vacations" to the litter box of the world, have a budget & no time, have time & no budget, have the support of the in-law (sell it, scrap it, you'll never get it done), & now the body is stuck in the father-in-laws property cause I can't get my help together at the same time. But thanks to my dad & brother, I was able to learn how to swap out burnt out autos with the help of my buddy. They beat you up, kill your excitement, but I'll never trade it for anything else cause I can't wait for the big pay off driving it again.

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
.......... I cant believe he blew it apart already...................

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I'm posting this to be informative, not alarming, but...

In that picture it looks like the frame/car is being held up under the front control arms then somewhere in the rear?

These frames were always known for flex, it's not uncommon to need to have a car that's on 4 tires on the ground without a front clip needing to have the frame jacked up under the firewall, letting the front arc back downwards for the body gaps fender to door to line up when putting it back.

Factory manual recommends jacking the g-body coupes on the frame at the points inside the tires towards the passenger cabin.

If it's going to sit a while like that might consider re-supporting further back on the reinforced frame pad by the firewall.

The way he has it jacked up, the frame has no idea the car isn't sitting on tires. no danger bending the frame, but...

Jacking/supporting on the A-arms like that is bad because if the car slides sideways on the boards (due to aggressive wrenching, etc) and the support goes inside the springs, even slightly, the spring force can push over the support blocks and the car fall of the blocks and smack the ground, which could easily bend stuff.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The way he has it jacked up, the frame has no idea the car isn't sitting on tires. no danger bending the frame, but...

Not quite true. The steel inner fenders bolting from the core support to the hinge pillars does a lot to hold the frame more rigid and less sagging. Same reason those tiny steel pieces of tube serving as triangulation with the frame horns stops flex.

Now, how permanent it might be over time, or if extra weight was sonewhere it shouldnt be, or depending how it was raised and lowered... that I wouldn't try to say, but certainly allows sagging without any doubt as most people who have tried to align a new doghouse on a car that sat with nothing forward of the firewall on either side will tell you. AND, you have to remember there were reasons gm put many clear warnings NOT to place the factory jack on the other various holes in the frame that the lifting pad could fit into further out from the car than between the wheels. Those lifting points are there for a reason, and it's not because control arm lifting went out of style (still used on the full size trucks of the same model year and beyond)

On the other risks of a-arm support, I do agree entirely

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor