My new gas tank strap insulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought this for my Regal since I will be installing a new gas tank even though it didn't come with any insulators I will use this rubber inner tube and when cut in half it will be 1-1/8" x 40"
for $6 it should work just fine.

20190901_144052-1.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
(y)Thanks for the idea. I'll probably use it myself.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The old time radiator guy in town (retired a few years ago) that fixed my 63 Olds fuel tank recommended roofing tar paper folded in half. I've done it on 3 vehicles; material was free from the neighbor.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I didn't use anything. If you get 'em good and tight then there will be no movement. No movement = no noise and no wear.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I bought some weird crap off eBay for the wagon (looks like rubber impregnated paper) and used some sheet rubber electrical taped to the strapa on the Monte (it was a quick fix given the "temporary" nature of the tank install). I made sure both tanks had protection on the top and bottom.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
On a G body G47, I agree with using some tarpaper or water/wear resistant material to insulate the top of the tank from the body. Nothing on the bottom straps. Then tighten the straps tighter than Dlck's hat band. And then I'd send it.

If your straps are mangled up and don't fit flat against the tank, then perhaps using something might fill the gaps. But the key would be something with a harder durometer than bicycle tubes. It may over-compress and squish out or leave too much movement. Unless it's a temporary situation, I personally wouldn't use the tire tube. But it's not my car, so...

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Cushioning is not necessary at all. Top supports or bottom straps. No positives.
Cushioning can lead to movement and movement leads to wear. No movement = no wear. Cushioning can also lead to more trapping of moisture leading to more corrosion.

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I've seen it recommended for in tank fuel pumps to lessen the pump noise transmitting through to the body.

Hutch

I agree. Don’t remember where I bought it but I bought the rubber insulators when I put a new tank in my 442. One of the reasons GM installed them was to reduce fuel pump noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor