My new home spray booth design - 16 photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
The workshop stall that I use for both body work and paint is 14ft wide by 24ft long with a 10ft ceiling. It has a 9ft wide by 8ft high garage door at one end and a 3ft wide by 6ft high window on the opposite end.

So, my plan was to put two totally enclosed motor 24" drum fans in the window that blow outwards and an intake filter wall on the garage door end using spray booth filters.

These are the fans I bought:
https://www.jdmfg.com/industrial/rec...drive-drum-fan

Bought them here with free shipping:
https://www.equipsupply.com/heating-...pivot-drum-fan

Total flow is 14,400 (7,200 X 2) cfm if the specs they publish are accurate.

I made a frame out of 3/4" plywood to mount the fans to and painted it with gloss oil based paint. I mounted the fans using J bolts and the hook part goes in the lip on the outside of the fan drum.

IMG_5946.JPG

IMG_59472.JPG

I cut the excess length off the J bolts and mounted the frame to the window frame on the outside of the workshop:

IMG_59552.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

Inside:

IMG_59711.JPG

On the inside you can see that there's no interference with the operation of the double hung windows. I can use them to hold the heat in at night, open the window and use one fan or for spraying, remove both windows.

These double hung windows are super easy to remove as long as you know the correct procedure:

IMG_59601.JPG

Now on to the filter wall build.
I built an intake filter wall out of 1X4 and 1X8 lumber. It's got eight 2ft X 4ft openings for attaching the PAINT BOOTH INTAKE FILTERS I bought.

IMG_58842.JPG

Attached the wall to the garage door trim with one deck screw on each side and went around the perimeter with duct tape for a seal. I attached the filters to the wood wall using an electric staple gun with 3/8" staples. Worked perfectly.

IMG_59911.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

Garage door still operates while filter wall is in place. When I spray the paint, I will cover the top of the open door with plastic sheet so overspray won't settle on to the outside of the door.

IMG_60022.JPG

Car painted with SPI single-stage white. Closed door up and put the windows back in for the night:

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_60261.JPG

The fans and filters worked super well. Clears the overspray fog really fast. I've never had so little dust during painting a car. I'm not sure if I have any dust at this point. Won't know for sure until after cut and buff.

Next day: Removed filter wall and moved off to the side in order to move the car into my other workshop stall. Now on to painting the hood, fenders, nose and tailgate.

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG

Here's a photo of the overspray on the fans. I sprayed USC Magic Mask liquid masking onto the fans before spraying the paint on the car. I hope that will allow me to gently brush the fans with soap and water to get the overspray off. We shall see how well that works.

IMG_6019.JPG

• Winner
  • Creative
Reactions: 10 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Is there some type of filters on your exhaust fans? I know l run somewhat same set up but on my exhaust fans l put furnace filters over them to reduce the airborne paint from going out-side. There cheap and l change them between paint jobs.

Reactions: 1 user

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
No filters in front of the fans. That's why I sprayed the liquid masking on them. I'm hoping that the overspray will brush off fairly easy with some soap and water. And since the motors are totally enclosed, water shouldn't hurt them. But, it does remain to be seen how well that works. I haven't done it yet. Not sure if I should clean them now and then respray the masking before painting the rest of the items for this car or do it at the end of the project. The instructions on the spray masking say to remove it within 48 hours and I passed that time earlier today.

I did think about making a temporary exhaust filter wall and using spray booth exhaust filters but I just came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the trouble and cost. Also, I live on a 4.2 acre lot and all my neighbors are pretty far away and won't complain about me painting a car. The 2 closest neighbors have ideas of painting cars in their garages also and come over and check on my progress from time-to-time. I don't think there are any local ordinances about painting a car at home. It would probably fall under some sort of nuisance code like making too much noise. Neighbors would have to complain first. As far as my home state, they only regulate shops that spray over 2 gallons of paint or solvents per week. That leaves me out.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
No filters in front of the fans. That's why I sprayed the liquid masking on them. I'm hoping that the overspray will brush off fairly easy with some soap and water. And since the motors are totally enclosed, water shouldn't hurt them. But, it does remain to be seen how well that works. I haven't done it yet. Not sure if I should clean them now and then respray the masking before painting the rest of the items for this car or do it at the end of the project. The instructions on the spray masking say to remove it within 48 hours and I passed that time earlier today.

I did think about making a temporary exhaust filter wall and using spray booth exhaust filters but I just came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the trouble and cost. Also, I live on a 4.2 acre lot and all my neighbors are pretty far away and won't complain about me painting a car. The 2 closest neighbors have ideas of painting cars in their garages also and come over and check on my progress from time-to-time. I don't think there are any local ordinances about painting a car at home. It would probably fall under some sort of nuisance code like making too much noise. Neighbors would have to complain first. As far as my home state, they only regulate shops that spray over 2 gallons of paint or solvents per week. That leaves me out.

It wasn't to do with environmental, it was that l didn't like blue paint on my white vinyl siding. I also use dimmer switches so l can control speed of fans.

Reactions: 1 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
This is a really cool set-up, I envy your garage space, I hope to have a garage like that some day. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
It wasn't to do with environmental, it was that l didn't like blue paint on my white vinyl siding. I also use dimmer switches so l can control speed of fans.
Oh I see. I didn't think of that. I wonder if since the fan drums extend out from the building whether I would have that problem or not.
Some paint is stickier than others in it's overspray. I've used the Shopline and Omni paints before and they are the stickiest I've ever used. I don't think I'd ever use them again. I've had better luck with the paint from Summit than those. On a car I really care about, I like to stick with the top tier paints.
This white is Southern Polyurethanes (SPI). Really good quality paint.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
My fans had a 1' depth frame to go threw 8" concrete, so basically fan attacked on one side, then metal frame going threw wall leaving about 5" hanging outside.
I painted a white truck didn't notice paint on side of building, but like l said blue truck and Omg!! I guess maybe wind was blowing that direction, but for a couple dollars for 2 filters, well worth the headache and wife freaking!!!

By the way yours looks clean, nice job!!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor