My new Hurst Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
Hello there; I have pulled the trigger on an '84 Olds Hurst, that I'm extremely eager to begin. It has the original Olds 307 in it, which runs, but is a bit dirty. Anyways, I've posted a picture below. I think I can handle most of the interior work myself. It's not in bad shape. I realize I need new doors, as the seals went and moisture got in and rotted out the bottom. Frame is in great shape. A couple of questions:

1) what should a resto paint job run me? Just out of curiosity. Called a local shop, and for minor body work and good paint job he wanted 10k.
2) Also, should I keep the 307 in the vehicle, or swap for a 350 Rocket or crate? I would keep the 307 in the garage, as I understand it's unique to the car and part of what makes it special. It just feels like the body and the Hurst shifters have so much potential to be fun, but are being hampered by the underpowered engine.

Anyways, I'm pumped to be starting!

My hurst.jpg
Hurst Keys.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
$10k is probably in the neighborhood for a good paint job. $3-4k for materials and the rest labor. You can save money by doing some of your own disassembly, prep (aka sanding) and reassembly yourself.

I worked in a small body shop for almost 10 years and it was always funny when guys would stop in for an estimate and be shocked by the price. Some would come back with something like "well Maaco will paint it for $500" or whatever the going rate was, to which the shop owners response was "add $2k to that estimate for me to fix it when they f*ck it up".

Good paint costs good money and a good shop will happily give you references if you ask.

As for the engine/trans, I would put the originals under the workbench and build something you want for it. That way if you decide to sell some day, you can still market it to the purists. I have a soft spot for Olds cars and keeping it all Olds would be cool in my book, but you should do what fits your desires and budget.

Best of luck with your project!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Welcome aboard from KY! Talk about jumping in head first and scoring a H/O!!!! Does it still have the lightning rods?
That paint quote for $10K is about right for a quality job that will last! I've got less in the bodywork and soon to be paint on my 87 Cutlass, but several others and I've spent many hours helping my painter sand, prep, sand, sand, sand.....
I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and the transformation it goes through.

Reactions: 3 users

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
Welcome aboard from KY! Talk about jumping in head first and scoring a H/O!!!! Does it still have the lightning rods?
That paint quote for $10K is about right for a quality job that will last! I've got less in the bodywork and soon to be paint on my 87 Cutlass, but several others and I've spent many hours helping my painter sand, prep, sand, sand, sand.....
I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and the transformation it goes through.

The lightning rods are still there! As soon as I saw them, I knew I had to pull the trigger on the car. Thanks! Also, lived in Kentucky for a long time...GO CATS (sorry if you're a Louisville fan...but nobody is perfect)

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The lightning rods are still there! As soon as I saw them, I knew I had to pull the trigger on the car. Thanks! Also, lived in Kentucky for a long time...GO CATS (sorry if you're a Louisville fan...but nobody is perfect)
Lol!!! I'm a Cards fan at heart, but live in a divided house. Definitely alot of nonsense going on, totally self inflicted....idiots!!!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Olds 350 is a better platform to build and will bolt right in place of the 307. There are actually steel stroker cranks available now for the Olds SB. Either 414 or 428 ci depending on the stroke, either 3.875" or 4" stroke available from Cutlassefi on this site, Mark Remmel.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nice looking project. For a nice paint job, with body repair, that is an actual figure. My wagon cost me more than half that in paint, materials, fillers, sandpaper, etc. And that's with a military discount. Though I did go with an expensive color.

Good luck, and I love my lightning rods!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
Nice looking project. For a nice paint job, with body repair, that is an actual figure. My wagon cost me more than half that in paint, materials, fillers, sandpaper, etc. And that's with a military discount. Though I did go with an expensive color.

Good luck, and I love my lightning rods!

Thanks for your response. In addition, thank you for your service to our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor