My new retro style F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
Good choice. The rims in the rendering look pretty hot. Any plans on getting them ?

I already have them. The picture of the truck all blue and leveled out with the gold wheels is how it is. I am going to be powder coating the gold wheels silver to match my silver panel.

Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
although I'm not a big fan of the 2015 and up (I have a 2009 STX), I do like the look you've got! gonna look pretty sweet when it's done!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Looks great. You definitely picked the right engine. We have far less trouble with the 5.0Ls and the non-turbo 3.5s and 3.3s than with any of the Ecoboosts.
Is the main issues the timing chain? They are or were single tensioner, correct? I heard a big issue is stretching oil change intervals and it leads to timing chain issues. Our 2013 EcoBoost had that happen after one oil change went too far, timing chain needed replacement.

Nov 4, 2012
Is the main issues the timing chain? They are or were single tensioner, correct? I heard a big issue is stretching oil change intervals and it leads to timing chain issues. Our 2013 EcoBoost had that happen after one oil change went too far, timing chain needed replacement.

There are a lot of problems with them, most are pretty well documented by now. The early first gen 3.5L EBs are the ones that stretch the timing chains. They upgraded the chains sometime between 13-14 and it's really not an issue anymore. There is a TSB out for a whole bunch of the 2.7Ls that had bad valve guides, they come in with a multitude of symptoms, usually no oil pressure due to excessive consumption is the most common. Some of them wind up with new heads, others get a new long block. The intake coking is well documented and it happens with virtually all of the EBs, there have been several revisions to try to address it but it still occurs fairly often.

The second gen EBs are highly revised, even the blocks are slightly different, but they still aren't as reliable or refined as the 5.0L IMO. A lot of these issues are things Ford should've caught during R&D. I dont like how they are using their customers as guinea pigs. I get it that unforseen stuff happens with all cars, but I think Ford was rushing to get to market with these and spent a lot less time on the engineering than they should have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There are a lot of problems with them, most are pretty well documented by now. The early first gen 3.5L EBs are the ones that stretch the timing chains. They upgraded the chains sometime between 13-14 and it's really not an issue anymore. There is a TSB out for a whole bunch of the 2.7Ls that had bad valve guides, they come in with a multitude of symptoms, usually no oil pressure due to excessive consumption is the most common. Some of them wind up with new heads, others get a new long block. The intake coking is well documented and it happens with virtually all of the EBs, there have been several revisions to try to address it but it still occurs fairly often.

The second gen EBs are highly revised, even the blocks are slightly different, but they still aren't as reliable or refined as the 5.0L IMO. A lot of these issues are things Ford should've caught during R&D. I dont like how they are using their customers as guinea pigs. I get it that unforseen stuff happens with all cars, but I think Ford was rushing to get to market with these and spent a lot less time on the engineering than they should have.
So much for all the endurance testing Ford Supposedly did on these EcoBoost motors🤨

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
All those reasons are why i flew to Vegas to get the 5.0. I read too many horror stories about those ecoboost.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor