my plans for 83 monte ss gauge cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Since this car never ran when I purchased it unknown if the stock gauges even work (35 year old wiring) and other people messing with it combined with the fact that I am doing a carbed LS Swap I decided to do my own cluster setup.

I purchased the 5 hole shadow box from dixiesrestorationdepot

I am purchasing from my parts supplier -

autometer phantom gauges :

3-3/8 GPS speedo
2-1/16 air core Fuel gauge
2-1/16 a/f ratio
2-1/16 air core 0-100 PSI oil pressure
2-1/16 air core 100-250F water temp

that will fill the gauge cluster itself, and I will pin off of the factory wiring (hopefully) for left and right turn signal and dimmer/lighting for the gauges

then I have a 5th 2-1/16 hole that the P.O had drilled in the dash so I can run a gauge in there either oil temp or voltage possibly

and finally a pedestal tach

I have an idea of what I want this to look like in my head and hopefully it will look that way when complete.

if you guys have some nice examples of shadow boxes you have done yourself feel free to post them up in here love to see other peoples ideas/clean work !

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I made mine with removeable aluminum inserts that screw into rivnuts that way I had easy access to wiring etc. and I also made adapters that plug into my factory turn signal sockets and I also retained all of the factory warning lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
I made mine with removeable aluminum inserts that screw into rivnuts that way I had easy access to wiring etc. and I also made adapters that plug into my factory turn signal sockets and I also retained all of the factory warning lights.

wow man thats some really nice work !

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
wow man thats some really nice work !
Thanks, the gauges are actually Autometer Ultralites with a silver face but the camera flash makes them almost look like Phantoms on top of the fact I painted all the bezels black.
I also moved the rear defrost switch to above the light switch.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
anyone on here use the dixie restoration depot shadow box ? i wanna see how it actually sat in the dash and panel so i have an idea if im doing it right...

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
This is the only picture we have at the moment. If you would like different angles, please let us know and we will mount one for you.
shadow.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Anyone have the colors for the left turn signal , right turn signal, dash lights , switched 12v

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor