My (slow) RKE conversion

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Figure I'd share my adventures with the RKE conversion I want to do to my '81 Monte to show how I'm planning to do it. After seen the MonteCarloSS.com posting several times I decided to do it. I also have been spoiled from the current & last truck having it too so why not make everything RKE. One other thing I'll have to do is convert my doors to power locks also since mine never had them nor the "new" doors. I regret not stripping the junk doors of the '86 parts car that did have the set up along with power windows but that was my days before joining GBF. I do have the cross body harness which I seperated the power window harness out of it, the lock relay, one door lock motor & harness I picked up last month & now the module & harness section. On the need list is the correct pack con terminals for the harness connector, a one cavity, a two cavity & a three cavity m/f conector sets to adapt into the factory harness with out cutting & a four cavity set for adapting the harness section to a harness I'll make to run everything to the front of the car. Can't forget the correct fobs & lock switches.

I tried to draw up a wire diagram then fix it on the computer but it's at least something to work with. This is how I see it being wired up.

RKE conversion wire diagram.jpg

This was based of the MonteCarloSS.com info. But I plan to do the tan wire (694/294) direct to the relay instead of cutting the wire going to the driver side switch. As for what is being used, I will change the green wire (275) to orange since (to my understanding) it is ment to be part of the range selector/neutral safety switch as it was posted to to tie into the orange wire (1540) which in turn will be connecting to the hot orange wire (40) under the dash. Another change will be with the white wire (194) to either black like it is in our cars or a white/black stripe wire. With the trunk release I might change the gray wire (382/56) to a black/gray stripe or gray/black stripe wire. The unused black/white stripe wire (56) might be used if I get a better understanding of how it tires in to the trunk release but most likely will be removed as will the dark blue wire (49) unless I understand how it works with the light delay. Last wire that was listed as not used is the pink wire (39) which I'm up in the air if I should tie it in to the dash harness pink wire but I will need to learn it's fuction first.

This would be a faster project if I had the body here at the house but I'll work on a mock up/test harness to make sure everything does work & gets programed. Will be at leat a fall/w*nt*r project.

Reactions: 6 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Figure I'd share my adventures with the RKE conversion I want to do to my '81 Monte to show how I'm planning to do it. After seen the MonteCarloSS.com posting several times I decided to do it. I also have been spoiled from the current & last truck having it too so why not make everything RKE. One other thing I'll have to do is convert my doors to power locks also since mine never had them nor the "new" doors. I regret not stripping the junk doors of the '86 parts car that did have the set up along with power windows but that was my days before joining GBF. I do have the cross body harness which I seperated the power window harness out of it, the lock relay, one door lock motor & harness I picked up last month & now the module & harness section. On the need list is the correct pack con terminals for the harness connector, a one cavity, a two cavity & a three cavity m/f conector sets to adapt into the factory harness with out cutting & a four cavity set for adapting the harness section to a harness I'll make to run everything to the front of the car. Can't forget the correct fobs & lock switches.

I tried to draw up a wire diagram then fix it on the computer but it's at least something to work with. This is how I see it being wired up.

View attachment 185019
This was based of the MonteCarloSS.com info. But I plan to do the tan wire (694/294) direct to the relay instead of cutting the wire going to the driver side switch. As for what is being used, I will change the green wire (275) to orange since (to my understanding) it is ment to be part of the range selector/neutral safety switch as it was posted to to tie into the orange wire (1540) which in turn will be connecting to the hot orange wire (40) under the dash. Another change will be with the white wire (194) to either black like it is in our cars or a white/black stripe wire. With the trunk release I might change the gray wire (382/56) to a black/gray stripe or gray/black stripe wire. The unused black/white stripe wire (56) might be used if I get a better understanding of how it tires in to the trunk release but most likely will be removed as will the dark blue wire (49) unless I understand how it works with the light delay. Last wire that was listed as not used is the pink wire (39) which I'm up in the air if I should tie it in to the dash harness pink wire but I will need to learn it's fuction first.

This would be a faster project if I had the body here at the house but I'll work on a mock up/test harness to make sure everything does work & gets programed. Will be at leat a fall/w*nt*r project.
Sounds like a worthwhile project, but I am wondering, isn't the pink wire in the dash only hot with the key "on"?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sounds like a worthwhile project, but I am wondering, isn't the pink wire in the dash only hot with the key "on"?
Yes it is. The '97-'99 Monte/-'01 Lumina diagram shows it running to the 39 circuit fuse in the fuse box. I will be looking into the purpose & what gets powered by it. There is a circuit that works with the interior lights dimmer & door ajar input with the headlight switch & another that runs to the trunk release button but our trunk release don't have to be ran to it. It would be nice to figure out how to make the iterior light features work & how to tie that in but it'll be a back burner thing for now.

Reactions: 3 users

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Yes it is. The '97-'99 Monte/-'01 Lumina diagram shows it running to the 39 circuit fuse in the fuse box. I will be looking into the purpose & what gets powered by it. There is a circuit that works with the interior lights dimmer & door ajar input with the headlight switch & another that runs to the trunk release button but our trunk release don't have to be ran to it. It would be nice to figure out how to make the iterior light features work & how to tie that in but it'll be a back burner thing for
I made all my connections at the door lock relay in the passenger lower front kick panel.
I did cut the tan wire at the relay so when I push the door unlock button once it unlocks the drivers door and then twice it unlocks the passenger side door.
I hooked the blue wire to the dome light door jam switch right there in the same location. Then tied into the trunk lock switch at the glove box. So this way no wire is longer that a foot. Had it done in about 30 minutes.

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I made all my connections at the door lock relay in the passenger lower front kick panel.
I did cut the tan wire at the relay so when I push the door unlock button once it unlocks the drivers door and then twice it unlocks the passenger side door.
I hooked the blue wire to the dome light door jam switch right there in the same location. Then tied into the trunk lock switch at the glove box. So this way no wire is longer that a foot. Had it done in about 30 minutes.
Signal from the fobs still able to reach from 30' like Gm claims from being down in the kick panel? I won't be cutting but making a adapter harness that'll be plug & play.

Reactions: 1 user

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Signal from the fobs still able to reach from 30' like Gm claims from being down in the kick panel? I won't be cutting but making a adapter harness that'll be plug & play.
My shop is 4 bays wide, I can be in the office, which would be about 5 bays wide and lock and unlock, open the trunk.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor