My (slow) RKE conversion

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I did end up getting three correct fobs today. Yesterday it was lock linkage and a few extra lock motors & a education in how it connects into the mechanical lock linkage. There are two set ups. One that is easier to do the conversion with two simple rods that be clipped to the lock knob rod. The other requires you to remove the complete rod linkage & fight to remove the linkage from the motor (leading to one of your salvaged motor to be broken. Then there are two different motors & each set up used one specifically but both will interchange. Now I'll just need a good working set of switches but at times this week I have thought of just going with out them & only use the fob to work the power locks. Also trying to decide on where it'll be best for me to mount it, at the rear shelf or in the passenger kick panel area. But for now I'll have to make the test harness to power everything up, flash the fobs & ensure it all will work together.

Reactions: 1 users

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
If you have any problems finding good key fobs, let me know. I am a automotive Locksmith here in Atlanta. I have used this set up in many of my past cars.
I put it in my 67 GTO and my 78 Trans Am. Also funny to watch peoples faces when you pop the door lock or trunk on a 1967 model car !!!!

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Decided to attempt a test on everything to see if everything works but it didn't work out that great. Plus side was I was able to see that one of my switche, the motors I want to use & the relay work. Then I tried to cobble together a quick jumper set up to the RKE module & got it to go into the rest mode but all it did was work the lock motors. The fobs didn't do anything even with fresh batteries. Maybe it was the rush job jumpers or the toy transformer (12v output, 18v max) that I used. Next time I'll put together a better jumper set up & use a better power source.

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did a second round with everything again tonight & I'm thinking the issue is with the power source not having the amperage dispite having the voltage. With out the RKE added the locks motors works & proved I have a bad switch. Then when I add the RKE the locks motors are not working right & when grounded the RKE can't make the lock motors fully push the lock shafts to fully go "unlock". It'll keep cycling & won't let the fobs get programed. Now I'll need to find a better power source or break down & buy a cheap battery.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Had some success getting a fob programmed tonight. Some ghetto engineering from my Pittsburgh North Side days with a G.P. warning light cluster, jumper wires & good old electrical tape. Ran the the light blue, white & gray wires to the cluster's pigtail so it'll trip the lights like it was working the lock motors. Powered up the orange & green wires as before with all the gounds tired into each other. Turned it all on, grounded the program wire to only get two of the three warning lights to light up to as it cycled the "locks". Ten seconds later I had a programmed fob. Bad thing is it still don't have the power to do two at once (my theory). I did try to do one at a time to find out it will delete the already programmed one. So I'll just have one to mess around with for now.

Reactions: 2 users

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Had some success getting a fob programmed tonight. Some ghetto engineering from my Pittsburgh North Side days with a G.P. warning light cluster, jumper wires & good old electrical tape. Ran the the light blue, white & gray wires to the cluster's pigtail so it'll trip the lights like it was working the lock motors. Powered up the orange & green wires as before with all the gounds tired into each other. Turned it all on, grounded the program wire to only get two of the three warning lights to light up to as it cycled the "locks". Ten seconds later I had a programmed fob. Bad thing is it still don't have the power to do two at once (my theory). I did try to do one at a time to find out it will delete the already programmed one. So I'll just have one to mess around with for now.
What are you having problems with.... "two at once"? I push my lock button once and it locks both doors. Push the unlock once and it unlocks the drivers door, twice it unlocks the passenger side.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What are you having problems with.... "two at once"? I push my lock button once and it locks both doors. Push the unlock once and it unlocks the drivers door, twice it unlocks the passenger side.
I can't get both to program at the same time as per the instructions from MonteCarloSS.com. I'm happy to have one for now & will wait until I have a better power source to operate the complete system.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
I can't get both to program at the same time as per the instructions from MonteCarloSS.com. I'm happy to have one for now & will wait until I have a better power source to operate the complete system.
I have two programed on mine. The second one took about 30 to 40 seconds before it programed.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got a set of '97 Chevy & Olds W-body service manuals in today to get more details on the wire functions to see what can & can't be used off the module like the light delay feature.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor