CHEVY My Story With Accel Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Most here I know already know this stuff, but since I'm still fairly new to this scene and learning? I figured to write this.

So basically my story begins with a distributor replacement. Not really that exciting, went pretty well.

The old one on the Caprice here was the original Delco Remy unit from the 80's, it was in good condition on the outside...

However it was quite rusty on the inside, and I found a new distributor and coil combo off eBay for around $100 CAD.

8763AF1B-82D5-4F71-9799-CF2D257D5947.jpeg

Seemed like a great deal at the time, nice new red distributor and coil.

But yeah, so it gets installed and all I had to say at first was WOW. Throttle response improved quite a lot.

However I noticed the grey and black connectors, that run to the coil did not seem to clip on properly.

Then, now almost 2 full months later recently with the heat I've been having stalling issues.

While there was fuel problems, the car would give very little warning when it stalled.

So after so many times of being stuck out in traffic, I finally got it towed last night. Tow truck driver happened to have a Caprice himself, and we both agreed the ICM or coil was likely.

Then last night, I replaced it with an old GM one out of a distributor a friend of mine gave me.

Still had trouble starting, but seemed to be more responsive.

Installed a new coil and wires today? Started right up.

I had no idea aftermarket components are built to fail that quickly, but lesson learned for sure.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had no idea aftermarket components are built to fail that quickly, but lesson learned for sure.
Most newer made items, things seem to have been designed or made to expire after a certain time unlike older speed goodies. I'm going to use my Mallory coil I bought & put into service in the late '90's with another that was from the early mid '90's as a back up. I even have more faith in the OE parts in my used Mallory HEI distributor than anything currently sitting new on the shelf in a warehouse.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Most newer made items, things seem to have been designed or made to expire after a certain time unlike older speed goodies. I'm going to use my Mallory coil I bought & put into service in the late '90's with another that was from the early mid '90's as a back up. I even have more faith in the OE parts in my used Mallory HEI distributor than anything currently sitting new on the shelf in a warehouse.
That is true. I was just hoping for applications like automotive or household stuff, where safety is a concern there would be at least some quality there.

I completely understand though. Even in my 1967 Pontiac the wires by Moroso are still working and in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor