My Th350 exploded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yep. Only has reverse now. Was low on atf, took 3 damn quarts to get it upto the full when hot line. No dice. My car is sitting somewhere in Iowa right now and I'd like to not have it be stationary for long. Anyone have a short tale BOP Th350 for sale that was a known working unit? If you do non lockup is preferred. I have a few engine parts and what not to trade also.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also I've seen some TH350s online and some have the th200 metric style cable for shifting with the black teardrop shaped end and some have the slotted end. What end should I use for my quadrajet should I get a trans?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That trans doesn't have that many places to leak from - if it was that bad it should have been addressed. If someone has been in that trans its possible the linkage wasn't installed properly w/ a cotter key and the s hook has come off. You usually only have first but possible for reverse only. Now is a good time to learn about 350 transmissions - there is a book out by Ron Sessions (how to build and modify the th 350) Great book and get you through a rebuild start to finish, they are simple.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That trans doesn't have that many places to leak from - if it was that bad it should have been addressed. If someone has been in that trans its possible the linkage wasn't installed properly w/ a cotter key and the s hook has come off. You usually only have first but possible for reverse only. Now is a good time to learn about 350 transmissions - there is a book out by Ron Sessions (how to build and modify the th 350) Great book and get you through a rebuild start to finish, they are simple.
For quite a while it was leaking like a sieve when I didn't have the kickdown cable hooked up, but I always kept it full or near full and it drove and shifted perfect. The last few days however it has been still full (after kickdown cable install, hasn't leaked since but fluid is going somewhere, no fluid in coolant from radiator trans cooler) but has started slipping and today on my way to school all forward gears went out at once. I only have reverse and of course neutral left. What rebuild kits do you recommend for the Th350? what can I lose, transmission is toast might as well learn how to build em. What tools would I need, what literature should I buy?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Could be a bad vacuum modulator sucking it into the intake. I buy my kits from Northern Auto - transtar kits w/ raybestos clutches ($125)
The book by Ron Sessions will tell you what you need, how to take apart & how to build. I have the bench vice for the 350 - 400 to hold & rotate.I have made most of my own tools for installing the bushings. Get the book from the library and see if your up to it.

51ucQyltBOL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, thanks for all the help everyone. I think what I may do, is just put my car up for the winter. It's what I was gonna do anyway, just about a month or two too soon. Gonna save up some cash and buy a 90s fwd car or a 4x4 truck that tickles my fancy. hell, maybe even a wagon if I can get one in decent shape for the right price. (455 vista cruiser anyone?) After that start stockpiling parts for my Regal come spring. New transmission*, dual hump x member, full exhaust, regasket the engine, aluminum intake, carb, stuff like that.

*does anyone know of a place that sells heavy duty BOPTh350s that are set up for kickdown? The one on jegs is the same one from summit, http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/6030...07803125271&gclid=CKLYl5T0nc8CFYNKXgodFlwDSQ\ , but it isn't setup for a kickdown cable. And the cable I bought for my car, CA1951 I think it was was WAY too long. The cable was set almost so far back almost at the firewall and still had too much travel. Do I need the one that has a teardrop shape on the end or the slotted end? Ive seen both on TH350 cars and its confusing. Picture is of my qjet with the way out of proportion V6 bracket (sinec changed for correct geometry) and on the bottom of the throttle arm you can see the nub for a cable.

Attachments

• 13632768_1135265009899340_1183122369_o.jpg
    13632768_1135265009899340_1183122369_o.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 139

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor