Mystery Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Alright, no recording as of yet, but checked flex plate and balancer, both are in fine shape and are tight. I thought fan shroud too but I checked by following the fan with my hand on the outer edge of one of the blades, so it has at least 1 finger's width of clearance all around. I'm starting to wonder if it's a new exhaust leak I'm not accustomed to, but that wouldn't explain the fact I'm able to feel the vibration through the steering column. My only thought left now is maybe the timing chain? Seems kind of premature since there's only about 70K on the block, but I know the nylon gears are known to have longevity issues...

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
Since you said the shop that installed the drivetrain did a piss poor job, have you checked the motor mount bolts? The trans bolts to the motor?

Are you certain the starter is disengaging from the flexplate? Even if it is, if the starter gear is too close to the flexplate when running at idle, when the flexplate flexs as rpm increases it may make contact with the starter gear

I'd also check for broken or missing vacuum lines or caps as well since you said it happened after it was crazy cold

A video would definitely help us for sure.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Cooling fan clutch?

Reactions: 1 user

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
Funny you should mention it because I just replaced the fan clutch yesterday for unrelated reasons and it's still going. When I took the plastic cover off to check the flex plate the starter looked like it was disengaged and at a good distance, I also cranked it over a few times to check all the plate bolts and it didn't stick either. All the vacuum lines in the engine bay are new and replaced by me. Motor mounts are all dried out but still sound, haven't checked bell housing bolts but trans won't budge when I try to move it around and all bolts are visually secure. Not sure if it means anything but the transmission is also on its way out. Would a dying auto trans make that kind of racket?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A dying transmission especially if the pump is going can make that noisy power steering sound.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO an actual video of the engine running with you moving around trying to isolate the sound would probably be better

Reactions: 1 user

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
IMO an actual video of the engine running with you moving around trying to isolate the sound would probably be better
I wish I could but it's only very barely audible by ear outside the cabin, my phone isn't even sensitive enough to pick it up at all when I try to capture it outside or underneath the car. It does get louder when the temp outside is warmer, so maybe by the time summer rolls around it will get loud enough to be recorded from the engine bay.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
UPDATE: Lost power steering below 1500-ish RPM today and the clicking got noticeably louder when turning after this happened. PS level was where it should be when I checked it. I'm going to order a proper new pump to replace the Chinesium O'Reilly house reman I replaced the stocker with and see if the noise goes away then. Will report back when the new pump is fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor