N/A LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muswagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
I am going to get a Regal, for my first G body, which will also be my first LS Swap

I have looked alot into what it will take to swap, of course I will have quetsions

My question is,

6.0 with the better heads with some work, good cam, carb intake and a holley sniper EFI, with a TKO 5 speed and relatively aggressive gearing how much street fun would this be?

OR

5.3 stock or slightly worked with a single turbo?

I am brand new to LS, coming from Ford I cannot understand why Ford guys hate this engine, it seems to be amazing?

Anyway, I know this is vague and I will have more questions as I learn, just curious what direction to go

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I am going to get a Regal, for my first G body, which will also be my first LS Swap

I have looked alot into what it will take to swap, of course I will have quetsions

My question is,

6.0 with the better heads with some work, good cam, carb intake and a holley sniper EFI, with a TKO 5 speed and relatively aggressive gearing how much street fun would this be?

OR

5.3 stock or slightly worked with a single turbo?

I am brand new to LS, coming from Ford I cannot understand why Ford guys hate this engine, it seems to be amazing?

Anyway, I know this is vague and I will have more questions as I learn, just curious what direction to go

The Ford guys see the LS platform as a threat and many actually swap them into Mustangs.

Your 2 listed options are apples and oranges. The 5.3 turbo option wins hands down more power but to do it right will not be cheap.

I can only assume you are ditching EFI for the cost......Don't do it! You can set up a junk yard harness and ECU with minimal investment.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
He said sniper EFI on the carb intake.

The 6.0 would be 400+ horsepower and riotously fun to drive with the manual trans. You'll be punishing that trans though.

5.3 will make more power for sure but it's alot different. Kinda soft down low, huge surge of torque. It'll cost significantly more money to put together too.

Either way it will be awesome. The character of these engines is fun. They have a great combination of old style V8 torque and the rev happy feeling of newer ohc v8s. Really playful and willing.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The TKO won't stand up to a 6.0 that is driven - by 'driven' I mean not used for groceries and Sunday school pickup :)

The 5.3 turbo is the winner hands down, but why not turbo the 6.0? Depending on ho you intend to use it, the cheapest and most reliable trans option is a built TH400, unless an OD is needed then a 4L80 in stock form with a better converter is the way to go. Of course the 4L80 requires a lot more electronics.

One combo that will definitely lead to sadness is the TKO with any LS turbo build.

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My brother has a 2010 L96 6.0 in his 78 Camaro. We swapped in the GMPP LS Hot Cam and LS6 valve springs. We used an LS3 intake and fuel rails. It has long tube headers and is backed by the wide ratio T56 Magnum. It has a 3.42 posi. The car is a blast!

Reactions: 3 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Option 3 is get the 6.0 and put an LSA ZL1 supercharger on it. This low mileage warranty take off blower was only $550. We expect 650-700 at the wheels with ethanol. First startup attempt is tomorrow! Truck is from South Carolina with zero rust.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Option 3 is get the 6.0 and put an LSA ZL1 supercharger on it. This low mileage warranty take off blower was only $550. We expect 650-700 at the wheels with ethanol. First startup attempt is tomorrow! Truck is from South Carolina with zero rust.

Locally there are two of those sitting on top of 6.0's in re-purposed (dropped) pickups. That is a safe and easy 600whp build with a mild fuel system and blower cam. Everything else stock. Much more HP than that takes some money in the fuel system and a couple of different pulleys. But there is a difference between this and a turbo build - the blower setup lights off like a HP explosion. The top end is better with a turbo. But for driving and tire burnin' this is better than a sloppy turbo build - it's so darn compact.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor