Narrowly Escaped DISASTER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Friday night I was cruising down the interstate in the pouring rain when my rear wheels began to spin. Before I really had time to process a thought I was COMPLETELY SIDEWAYS in the middle lane and heading right for the concrete barrier. I tried to straighten it out and it snapped back the other way. I was probably running about 60 when I started sliding sideways, and hitting that concrete barrier with either end of the car at that speed sounded like certain disaster. I kept trying to straighten the car out and it kept snapping all the way back the opposite direction every time. I finally ended up barely hitting the barrier with the left front of the car. It did some damage but so much less than it could have. I was convinced that I was gonna total it as I was heading toward that wall!

It screwed up the bumper, fender and header panel. It also barely bent the hood. Now I guess I gotta hunt some parts. I think I have a header panel and maybe a bumper. I'll probably have to find a fender. I might as well replace the parking lights while I'm at it.

20170904_170542-1024x576.jpg

20170904_170556-1024x576.jpg

20170904_170547-1024x576.jpg

20170904_170613-1024x576.jpg

20170904_170642-1024x576.jpg

20170904_170647-1024x576.jpg

20170904_170626-1024x576.jpg

20170901_200949-1024x576.jpg

That last pic was a few minutes after the accident. When I finally got stopped, I was in the left emergency lane. It was pouring rain and traffic was flying by. I looked out the window, didn't see much damage, the wheel felt good, the car was still running and I figured I'd get run over if I sat on the side of the road for long so I got back on the road and made it to the next exit where I got out and looked the car over. I'm so glad it didn't turn out any worse than this and really glad no one else was involved.

The way the fender is bent, it has the door jammed so that it won't open. I've been getting in and out of the car like the Duke boys the past few days. Lol. It definitely makes for some strange looks. Lol.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Damn man that sucks. Shame you aren't closer because I have everything you need here.

Reactions: 3 users

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Metal and plastic can be fixed. Thank God you are Ok

You are very right. The weird thing is, the entire time I was wrecking, the main thing I was thinking about was how bad the damage to the car was gonna be. I was fighting it like crazy! I knew if I could straighten it out and keep it straight, hopefully the car wouldn't suffer any damage at all. I still can't believe how fast it went from heading straight down the road to completely sideways. I don't remember moving the steering wheel at all when it was spinning...

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Damn man that sucks. Shame you aren't closer because I have everything you need here.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, it really sucks. I had put this fender on last year because the one it came with was dented. Now it looks like I'll have to replace it again and more.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You are very right. The weird thing is, the entire time I was wrecking, the main thing I was thinking about was how bad the damage to the car was gonna be. I was fighting it like crazy! I knew if I could straighten it out and keep it straight, hopefully the car wouldn't suffer any damage at all. I still can't believe how fast it went from heading straight down the road to completely sideways. I don't remember moving the steering wheel at all when it was spinning...

the rain sucks all the oil and other fluids dropped on the highway and puts it on top of the asphalt making it like ice on the road. I'm glad you came out of it with no injuries and not too much body damage.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
That could have been a lot worse. Good thing you're ok and the cars not that bad.

What is the tire pressure in the rear tires? They look a little pumped up in the pictures. If I want oversteer, I run a little more pressure in the rear tires. If it rains during a race, I take the pressure out of the rears.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Could have been a lot worse! Now that you're ok do me a favor and check those front rails for sway just grab one of your buddy's and a tape measure and check. When they get hit in the corner of the bumper like that it's pretty common. Easy fix the any hack shop with pots and a post can fix rail sway

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor